Posted to user@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org> on 2014/07/15 19:48:08 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 6 support

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:57:18AM -0700, Andrew Gaul wrote:
> jclouds presently supports Java 6, 7, and 8 which imposes extra
> development costs and prevents uptake of new language and library
> features including try-with-resources, NIO.2, and HTTP client
> improvements.  Oracle ceased public updates to Java 6 in early 2013[1]
> and jclouds could use this to guide its support strategy.  The jclouds
> developers would like to understand how many users continue to use Java
> 6 and what prevents upgrading to newer versions.  Please respond to this
> thread with any relevant information.  Thanks!

I collected some limited statistics from JIRA which show that most bug
reporters use Java 7 and none use Java 6.  Perhaps we can use a similar
data-driven approach when we move to Java 8 in a few years.

major version summary:

     10 Java 1.7
      1 Java 1.8

minor version summary:

      3 Java 1.7
      2 Java 1.7.0_21
      1 Java 1.7.0_25
      2 Java 1.7.0_45
      1 Java 1.7.0_51
      1 Java 1.7.0_55
      1 Java 1.8

individual JIRA issues:

JCLOUDS-247: Java 1.7
JCLOUDS-249: Java 1.7.0_25
JCLOUDS-498: Java 1.7.0_45
JCLOUDS-519: Java 1.7
JCLOUDS-539: Java 1.7.0_51
JCLOUDS-542: Java 1.7
JCLOUDS-556: Java 1.7.0_45
JCLOUDS-569: Java 1.8
JCLOUDS-604: Java 1.7.0_21
JCLOUDS-605: Java 1.7.0_21
JCLOUDS-626: Java 1.7.0_55

collected from:

for i in `seq 650`; do echo $i; wget https://issues.apache.org/jira/si/jira.issueviews:issue-xml/JCLOUDS-$i/JCLOUDS-$i.xml || break; done
grep -A1 '<environment>' * | grep -i -e jdk -e java | tr '\r' '\n'

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Java 6 support

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.
Thanks for collecting that, Andrew G! Interesting to see what at least
the active users are doing.

Is there some way we could add a "survey" option to the jclouds site,
asking simple questions like "which version of Java are you using", to
try to collect some more info like this? Or would that be annoying?

Alternatively, would it make sense to try to put together a simple
user survey and send it out to user@, as a continuation of this thread?

Regards

ap