Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2006/04/11 16:12:04 UTC

removal of classes depending upon dead third party libraries

Hello,

I think of starting a vote soon (or maybe better 4 votes) on the removal
of the classes depending upon xslp, icontract, vaj, testlet.

Remarks, critics and suggestions about :
- whether this should happen at all,
- in terms of bylaws, would such a vote be considered a code change with
lazy approval/lazy consensus, or like adoption of a new codebase meaning
requiring 2/3 majority ?
- how to word the vote emails,
- ...
are welcome.

see this page [1] for the list of the dependencies of Ant 1.6.5

xslp : is a library containing an XML transformation engine, the site
where this transformation engine could be downloaded from no longer exists.
XSL:P : used to live at  <http://www.clc-marketing.com/xslp/>, but the
link doesn't work any longer and we are not aware of a replacement site.

icontract :
see the documentation of the optional task  icontract [3]. The link  [4]
contained in this page is dead.

vaj :
see this document : [5]
I believe that IBM has replaced Visual Age for Java with WSAD since a
long time.

test:
see this document : [6]

Regards,

Antoine

[1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#librarydependencies
[2] http://www.clc-marketing.com/xslp/
[3] http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/icontract.html
[4] http://www.reliable-systems.com/tools/
[5] http://ant.apache.org/manual/Integration/VAJAntTool.html#tasks
[6] http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/test.html

Re: removal of classes depending upon dead third party libraries

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com> wrote:

> I think that we should be careful

Of course.

> as there might be a few old build files that still use these
> *extremely* dated tools (vaj was superseded by eclipse based tools
> over 6 years ago

VAJ is a special case since it comes bundled with a JDK 1.1 that can't
be changed.  The VAJ integration code of anything after Ant 1.5.4
won't work in VAJ anyway since it requires JDK 1.2 or later.

> - wow, I'm old enough to remember vaj erk!)

Symantec Visual Cafe ;-)

Stefan

Re: removal of classes depending upon dead third party libraries

Posted by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com>.
Martijn Kruithof wrote:

> I think we should consult the user list first (so far no reactions on
> a open question regarding icontract though).
>
> Martijn
>
> Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think of starting a vote soon (or maybe better 4 votes) on the removal
>> of the classes depending upon xslp, icontract, vaj, testlet.
>>
>> Remarks, critics and suggestions about :
>> - whether this should happen at all,
>> - in terms of bylaws, would such a vote be considered a code change with
>> lazy approval/lazy consensus, or like adoption of a new codebase meaning
>> requiring 2/3 majority ?
>> - how to word the vote emails,
>> - ...
>> are welcome.

I think that we should be careful as there might be a few old build
files that still use these *extremely* dated tools (vaj was superseded
by eclipse based tools over 6 years ago - wow, I'm old enough to
remember vaj erk!)

Since the jars aren't available for some of the classes, that limits the
number of new users, but we have no idea of how many old users are
reliant on these tools.  Basically I'm scared of a compatibility problem
down the line.  Still if users are dependent on these older jars, they
probably won't upgrade Ant to the very latest

Kev

Re: removal of classes depending upon dead third party libraries

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Martijn Kruithof wrote:
> I think we should consult the user list first (so far no reactions on
> a open question regarding icontract though).
>
> Martijn
Hello Martijn,

I have just sent a similar message on the user list.

Regards,

Antoine

Re: removal of classes depending upon dead third party libraries

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jk...@apache.org>.