Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/28 17:29:37 UTC

Why do we need mysql server on the dev machine

Hi,

When building the project cloudstack-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+devcloud+environment+setup),
I get the following exception :

mvn -P developer -pl developer -Ddeploydb

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.codehaus.mojo:sql-maven-plugin:1.5:execute (drop-database) on project
cloud-developer: Communications link failure
[ERROR]
[ERROR] The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds
ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server. Connection
refused
[ERROR]

As utils/conf/db.properties file specifies to use localhost
(db.cloud.host=localhost), does that means that MySQL should also be
installed on the development machine ?

Charles Moulliard

Re: Why do we need mysql server on the dev machine

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.
That could be interesting to have in a file the script containing the
commands to be executed by maven sql plugin. Which such a scriptI could
perhaps figure out what happen here.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Charles,

I tested this on my mb air 10.8.1, mysql 5.5. The procedure works fine.

The database is running on localhost (the air), 192.168.56.1 is the address of the vbox switch:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 7c:d1:c3:e9:0d:bf
	inet6 fe80::7ed1:c3ff:fee9:dbf%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
	media: autoselect
	status: active
p2p0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2304
	ether 0e:d1:c3:e9:0d:bf
	media: autoselect
	status: inactive
vboxnet0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 0a:00:27:00:00:00
	inet 192.168.56.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.56.255

The devcloud setup with host-only (replacing the NAT adapter form the default devcloud) will get IPs from the DHCP setup for the vboxnet adapter. It should have been configured by default in vbox -> preferences -> network . If you click on the "screwdriver" you can see the settings.

Make sure that you created a cloud user with cloud password before running:
> mvn -P developer -pl developer -Ddeploydb

Otherwise the tables don't get created (at least that was the case for me).

Cheers,

-sebastien

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.
I checked, when we do:

        }

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>>wrote:

I use git master of CloudStack and maven 3.0

If I try to connect on mysql db on DevCloud VM with parameters provided in
db.properties, I cannot connect

root@devcloud:~# mysql -h 192.168.56.2 -u cloud -p cloud
Enter password:
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.56.2' (111)

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>>wrote:

Hi Charles,

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.
Hi Charles,

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rohit,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.
Updated in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Building+with+Maven#BuildingwithMaven-DeployingDatabase

Another shortcut would be to pass any vars ${} that are defined or used in developer/pom.xml using -Dvar=value, for example
mvn -P developer -pl developer -Ddeploydb -Ddb.cloud.host=10.20.30.40 -Ddb.cloud.port=9000

Thanks for bringing the issue.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.
Charles, that's right what Alex advises;
just copy utils/conf/db.properties to utils/conf/db.properties.override and edit as needed.
the .override file is not tracked by git and is in .gitignore.

Regards.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.