Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2015/11/28 00:05:28 UTC

Trying CTR for the project

Guys,

as you might have seen on the general@incubator list, there's a lengthy
discussion about benefits of Commit-Then-Review (CTR) development model over
Review-Then-Commit (RTC) one.

As the project is getting more mature, I would like to start the conversation
on what the community think about this sort of thing. If anyone isn't clear
about the topic - please chime in and I would be happy to go into as much
details as needed. In the meanwhile, here a coupe of links that might help

    Apache Ignite CTR vs RTC discussion  (Ignite is CTR project)
      http://s.apache.org/wPA
    Apache Bigtop CTR vs RTC long thread (Bigtop is a CTR project as well)
      http://is.gd/TgBovX

Regards,
  Cos

Trying CTR for the project

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
I think Zeppelin community has been very pro-active on handling patch
requests and both strict RTC vs CTR as in general list discussions could be
mediated by something in between.

For example, patches or CR that changes existing behavior should be
reviewed to make sure not breaking anything and have good unit tests, but
new features that have design documents could probably committed directly
once the design has been reviewed.

- Henry

Re: Trying CTR for the project

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
I think we should at least explicitly document current process somewhere
first.

The place would be
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
or
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/blob/master/docs/development/howtocontribute.md
.

Then it'll help committer and contributor understand the process. And
improving the process (eg. this discussion) will be much easier and
smoother.

Thanks,
moon

Posted by Alexander Bezzubov <bz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Corneau Damien <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys and thanks for the discussion.

I thought at first that this would be more focus on how the project gets
contributions (The kind of discussion before PR vs PR then
review/discussion),
But after re-reading the definitions, the main aspect is the voting process
when accepting code contributions.

As a Starter, I would say that Zeppelin is more of a CTR type than RTC.
We don't use a voting process to merge code, and here is how our review
process usually goes:
1) A PR is submitted
2) We start looking at it to start discussions if needed, and wait for a
confirmation that its ready to be tested.
3) Anybody can test the PR, but we always have at least one Apache Zeppelin
Committer testing and reviewing it.
4) After an Apache Zeppelin Committer approves the code ('Looks Good',
'+1', 'Let's get to merge'), we would wait for 1 to 2 days for potential
additional reviews.
5) After those 1 or 2 days, we would use a short lazy consensus ('Merging
if there is no more discussions'), and the Code would be merged between
2-4h later (to give a final chance on the Code Review)

I hope this helps understanding how we proceed

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Cos,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 09:15AM, Eran Witkon wrote:
> My 2 cents here...
> I know that I got good and productive feedback through the review process
> and I am happy it was included before it was committed.

This is a non sequitur. CTR doesn't prevent you or anyone else from getting
reviews. I suggest we stop milking this argument, because it is simply false.

> I agree that that the review does not need to be done by the PMC members
> but should be handled on the DEV list.

Again, this is a some sort of misconception about an incubator project (which
doesn't have a PMC, but a PPMC - which is a bike with training wheels to teach
people what PMC will be exposed to in the future). As explained in [1]

Let's take a short detour....
"The Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC) helps a Podling learn how to
govern itself. It works like a PMC but reports to the Incubator PMC instead of
to the ASF Board. Initially, it is composed of the Podling's mentors and
initial committers. The PPMC is directly responsible for the oversight of the
podling and it also decides who to add as a PPMC member."

(P)PMC isn't a super-natural authority that rules over the technical aspects
of the project, but rather a project governance mechanism. PMC has a very
clear set of responsibilities explained in [2]. In short they are

    Comply With Legal Affairs Policies
    Comply With Brand Management Policies
    Responsibly Report Misuses Of Apache Brands
    Conduct Project Business On Mailing Lists

In other words, PMC-hat is irrelevant in code reviews or making technical
decision, until it comes to release votes for which PMC is responsible.

End of detour.

> I am sure that for every PR which has a review process in the DEV list and
> enough +1 voting for it it will be committed even if none of the PMC tested
> it.

Unless this is a unfortunate choice of words, it is not how it works. No
voting is needed for a code change to be committed. Apache doesn't use voting
for the mundane fixes and patched. However, a vote can be colled on a code
modification as explained in [3]

> I this only if and when we see PR with enough +1 which are not committed
> then we can think of speeding it up with RTC or adding more committers.
> So bottom line is +1 for RTC

What number of "+1"s is _enough_ for a patch to get committed? Obviously,
every project can make it as high as needed to satisfy their liking. Most RTC
projects say "at for a patch to get committed least one +1".  But I can
imagine projects that would require 5 +1s (or any other ludicrous number) to

Posted by Eran Witkon <er...@gmail.com>.
My 2 cents here...

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
See in-lined...

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 10:47 AM Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 01:15AM, moon soo Lee wrote:
> > Thanks for starting the thread. I was keep an eye on discussion about
> > CTR/RTC on the general@incubator.
> >
> > I saw people think RTC means lack of trust in that discussion. To me that
> > is complete nonsense. I can say, RTC trust others more, trust reviewer.
> So
> > I don't agree the "reason" CTR over RTC in the discussion on
> > general@incubator.
>
> CTR doesn't mandate an absence of reviews. The 'R' is still there. And same
> way is before anyone is welcome to make the review for the committed code.

Thanks for explanation about 'R' in CTR. But

my point was that I believe 'R' in RTC does not comes because of lack of
trust.
my point wasn't about 'R' is missing in CTR.

> > Importantly, Zeppelin project used to count not only review from
> committer
> > but also review from any contributor. This kind of consensus sharing
> among
> > the community may be lost or weaken when committers start commit in CTR
> > fashion.
>
> I don't see how it is possible. Empirically it isn't ever a case as well.
> Could you please elaborate how this might happen in your view?

Let me share some history about Zeppelin project,
It was developed in CTR way in the beginning. and it continued until
sometime around Zeppelin enters Apache incubation. Then somehow naturally
switched to RTC.

We didn't explicitly discussed about CTR/RTC change at that time, so i
can't say the exact reason. But i can guess the reason. Users were growing
rapidly at that time and most of them build Zeppelin from master branch.
And we didn't wanted to break the code and become extremely careful to
merge pullrequest without review. That's how RTC landed into Zeppelin, i
think.

After review becomes so important, we started respect any review from not
only committers but also contributors (non-committers). That continued
until now. And now I see the only difference between committer and
contributor is that committer can initiate lazy consensus. So participating
review becomes one of the major way influencing the project.

But obviously, by their nature, 'R' in CTR is less encouraging compare to
RTC. Again I'm not saying 'R' is not in CTR. If someone say 'R' in CTR is
more encouraging than 'R' in RTC, then i also can say, RTC is faster then
CTR. I mean less encouraging is 'compare to' RTC.

And while committers goes with CTR, contributors will remain RTC.

Because of this nature of CTR / RTC differences, there's chances to reduce
influences from contributor (non-committer) in this project and my worry
here was about this.

If you can share some experience from Bigtop, especially about those who is
not a committer, after changing RTC -> CTR, that would be really
interesting and helpful.

> > But what I agree is, CTR can be faster than RTC. That can help speed up
> the
> > development of Zeppelin and that's what I personally really want and
> can't
> > wait.
> >
> > So, to me, applying CTR for this reason is more than welcome. But I think
> > we need some preparation to keep the consensus in the community.
>
> It isn't only about speeding up. It is about the maturity and mutual
> appreciation of my fellow committers, doing 'the right thing'.

Even though I agree and I want to go CTR, I don't believe community have
CTR is more mature than RTC. vise versa.

Using/building coding guidelines is a good idea, as I said elsewhere. And it
> will definitely help to reduce jitter and noise on the mailing lists. But
> it
> is orthogonal to the topic, discussed here.
>
> What I encourage you to do, is to run a trial for CTR and see how this
> works.
> If something is badly broken - it always can be reverted. That's why we are
> using VCS for the software development.
>
> Cos

I think there're still many users building Zeppelin from master branch. We
at least need to guide user to use release branch instead of master. Of
course more frequent releases will help. Then it'll be much more pleasant
to try CTR and break something.

Thanks,
moon

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Amos B. Elberg" <am...@gmail.com>.
> I have a PR that has been pending since *August*.  It’s the subject of 2
> jira’s, and I’d emailed members of the PMC about it several times.  It has

Have you emails the dev@ list?
Repeatedly.

Actually, it isn't a requirement. Perhaps some one told you this mistakenly,
but it is not. Here's the list of graduation requirements as of today:
https://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator

"decentralization of project governance" isn't there and I am not really sure
what it means.
“Decentralization” was me being polite.

From: Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>
Reply: dev@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org <de...@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org>
Date: November 27, 2015 at 9:16:37 PM
To: dev@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org <de...@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Trying CTR for the project

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 09:02PM, Amos B. Elberg wrote:
> I think CTR may be a good idea.
>
> Considering all the excellent efforts to build community by Moon and others,
> I can understand why he has experienced the community in the way he
> describes.
>
> My experience, however, has been different.  I’m not sure that community
> involvement is either as broad, or as deep, as Moon suggests. Silence is not
> the same thing as consensus.  It seems that active, regular involvement from
> outside the PMC is a very small number of people.

CTR doesn't let anyone and his brother to simply commit the code into the VCS.
You still have to be a committer on the project to do. In order for a
committer to bring in your code into the source tree it has to be reviewed and
checked-in from that category.

> I have a PR that has been pending since *August*.  It’s the subject of 2
> jira’s, and I’d emailed members of the PMC about it several times.  It has

Have you emails the dev@ list?

> an active user base, to whom I provide technical support.  It’s been
> presented to Spark (and soon, R) user groups. However, as I understand it no
> member of the PMC has ever downloaded or tried the code. In fact, no member
> of the PMC even looked at the code until the users began tweeting to ask why
> the PR had not been accepted yet.

PMC (actually PPMC) isn't responsible to look at your or anyone else code:
they are all volunteers exactly as you and I are. They can spend their time
anyway they are pleased.

That said, ignoring a contribution for that long isn't helping to grow the
community - that's for sure.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Amos B. Elberg" <am...@gmail.com>.
I think CTR may be a good idea.

Considering all the excellent efforts to build community by Moon and others, I can understand why he has experienced the community in the way he describes.

My experience, however, has been different.  I’m not sure that community involvement is either as broad, or as deep, as Moon suggests. Silence is not the same thing as consensus.  It seems that active, regular involvement from outside the PMC is a very small number of people.

I have a PR that has been pending since *August*.  It’s the subject of 2 jira’s, and I’d emailed members of the PMC about it several times.  It has an active user base, to whom I provide technical support.  It’s been presented to Spark (and soon, R) user groups. However, as I understand it no member of the PMC has ever downloaded or tried the code. In fact, no member of the PMC even looked at the code until the users began tweeting to ask why the PR had not been accepted yet.

From: moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>
Reply: dev@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org <de...@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org>
Date: November 27, 2015 at 8:15:50 PM
To: dev@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org <de...@zeppelin.incubator.apache.org>