Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "nws.charlie" <me...@argosyconsole.com> on 2007/07/18 15:52:40 UTC

Catching .pdf Spam

  Like many of you, we have been receiving a lot of spam with .pdf
attachments. Perhaps I am missing a rule set, but almost none seemed to be
getting a high enough score to be marked spam. (We mark a score of 3.00 or
more as spam). Can anyone tell me if there is already a ruleset that I
should be using?

  I have noticed that 98% of the spam with pdf attachments is being sent
from Thunderbird. I wrote a few rules and added them to my local.cf. Here is
the main one that is working. I am catching most of the spam with this. Does
anyone see anything negative about a rule like this?

header 	__LOCAL_HEADER_THUNDERBIRD User-Agent =~ /\bthunderbird\b/i
full		__LOCAL_HAS_PDF  /\b\S*\.pdf\b/i
meta		LOCAL_PDF_VIA_THUNDERBIRD (__LOCAL_HEADER_THUNDERBIRD &&
__LOCAL_HAS_PDF)
score		LOCAL_PDF_VIA_THUNDERBIRD 6.0

Thanks All !
MW

Re: Catching .pdf Spam

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
nws.charlie wrote:
> I am catching most of the spam with this. Does
> anyone see anything negative about a rule like this?
>
> header 	__LOCAL_HEADER_THUNDERBIRD User-Agent =~ /\bthunderbird\b/i
> full		__LOCAL_HAS_PDF  /\b\S*\.pdf\b/i
> meta		LOCAL_PDF_VIA_THUNDERBIRD (__LOCAL_HEADER_THUNDERBIRD &&
> __LOCAL_HAS_PDF)
> score		LOCAL_PDF_VIA_THUNDERBIRD 6.0

Well, this message will probably go into your spam folder, since I'm
using Thunderbird and the phrase ".pdf" appears in the message.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: Catching .pdf Spam

Posted by "nws.charlie" <me...@argosyconsole.com>.

Theo Van Dinter-2 wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 11:17:03AM -0700, nws.charlie wrote:
>> automatically twice a day. The updates are happening as scheduled, and
>> being
>> placed in var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/..., however, spamassassin seems
>> be ignoring the rules there.
>
> Why do you say that?  Does "spamassassin --lint -D" show the files being
> used?

I say spamassassin is ignoring the rules simply because I was not getting
rule hits on any of the rules in  80_additional.cf when it was only in
var/lib/spamassassin. As soon as I placed a copy in etc/mail/spamassassin
the rules started triggering. I verified this several ways. Most
specifically, when I placed a copy in etc/mail/spamassassin, the rule
TVD_PDF_FINGER01 began triggering for the same messages as my custom rule.
When I remove 80_additional.cf from etc/mail/spamassassin, that rule no
longer triggers, while my custom rule does. 80_additional.cf is still in
var/lib/spamassassin.

>Also, if you're really using 3.1.1 you should think about upgrading.
Yes, we are... I'm looking into that too. Meanwhile, that shouldn't prevent
these rules from working, right?

Thanks again.

Re: Catching .pdf Spam

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 11:17:03AM -0700, nws.charlie wrote:
> automatically twice a day. The updates are happening as scheduled, and being
> placed in var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/..., however, spamassassin seems to
> be ignoring the rules there.

Why do you say that?  Does "spamassassin --lint -D" show the files being used?

Also, if you're really using 3.1.1 you should think about upgrading.
3.1.9 has been out for a while, and 3.1.10 should be in the next week
or so.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are

Re: Catching .pdf Spam

Posted by "nws.charlie" <me...@argosyconsole.com>.
I took over this project (dealing w/spam) with very little instruction or
experience, so My Apologies if my questions are ignorant...
I had previously run sa-update manually, and we also have it scheduled
automatically twice a day. The updates are happening as scheduled, and being
placed in var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/..., however, spamassassin seems to
be ignoring the rules there.
I manually copied 80_additional.cf to etc/mail/spamassassin, and now I am
getting new rule hits, including the TVD_PDF_FINGER01 rule.
According to what I have read, rules should work when they are in
var/lib/spamassassin/.. Do I misunderstand, or do we have something
configured wrong?
Thanks for your replies!
MW

Re: Catching .pdf Spam

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 06:52:40AM -0700, nws.charlie wrote:
> more as spam). Can anyone tell me if there is already a ruleset that I
> should be using?

Run sa-update, there's a rule already in there.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Human female: "All in all. This is one day that mitten the kitten will not
  soon forget."
 Morbo: "Kittens give Morbo gas. In later news the city of New New
  York is doomed. Blame rests with known human professor Hubert
  Farnsworth and his tiny inferior brain."

Re: Catching .pdf Spam

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, nws.charlie wrote:

>   I have noticed that 98% of the spam with pdf attachments is
> being sent from Thunderbird. I wrote a few rules and added them to
> my local.cf. Here is the main one that is working. I am catching
> most of the spam with this. Does anyone see anything negative
> about a rule like this?
>
> header 	__LOCAL_HEADER_THUNDERBIRD User-Agent =~ /\bthunderbird\b/i
> full		__LOCAL_HAS_PDF  /\b\S*\.pdf\b/i
> meta		LOCAL_PDF_VIA_THUNDERBIRD (__LOCAL_HEADER_THUNDERBIRD &&
> __LOCAL_HAS_PDF)
> score		LOCAL_PDF_VIA_THUNDERBIRD 6.0

A real person using Thunderbird cannot send you a pdf, or possibly
even talk about a .pdf file with you...

It has been observed that the user-agent header in these spams
consistently claims to be a specific version of thunderbird. I have
also noticed the same behavior in the past. You might want to add that
to your rule to make it a little more focused.

Also, having one "poison pill" rule is generally a bad idea. There are
subject line patterns in the PDF spams that are fairly consistent and
not similar to what most human correspondents would use.

  Where We Want You To Go Today 07/05/07: Microsoft patents in-OS
  adware architecture incorporating spyware, profiling, competitor
  suppression and delivery confirmation (U.S. Patent #20070157227)
 6 days until The 38th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon