Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Soulhuntre <so...@soulhuntre.com> on 2000/04/06 13:07:14 UTC

mod_perl shared perl instances?

Hiya :)

OK... mod_perl embeds an instance of Perl inside the Apache system, and with
Apache::ASP allows us to mix perl/html. Good :)

The problem is that these processes are 'heavy'.

Is there any way to simulate the actions of "Velocigen" in that we could
have a few (configurable number) of perl's running that round robin to work
with Apache::ASP to render pages?

This should also seperate out the systems a bit for stability.

Ken

---
Soulhuntre

(icq# 275066)
http://www.soulhuntre.com - my world
http://www.dotpublishing.com - my income
http://www.virtualchemy.com - my company
http://www.the-estate.com - my passion

Re: mod_perl shared perl instances?

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
Yeah...

http://perl.apache.org/guide/strategy.html#One_Plain_Apache_and_One_mod_per

Posted by Soulhuntre <so...@soulhuntre.com>.
Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Soulhuntre wrote:

> Hiya :)
>
> OK... mod_perl embeds an instance of Perl inside the Apache system, and with
> Apache::ASP allows us to mix perl/html. Good :)
>
> The problem is that these processes are 'heavy'.
>
> Is there any way to simulate the actions of "Velocigen" in that we could
> have a few (configurable number) of perl's running that round robin to work
> with Apache::ASP to render pages?
>
> This should also seperate out the systems a bit for stability.

Nothing really to be done, but you should note that if you make
ample use of PerlModule and Apache::ASP->Loader to precompile
modules and scripts, your processes will be much lighter.  Then,
you have many options for decreasing the number of mod_perl
httpds.  My favorite is throwing a proxy in front...

  http://perl.apache.org/guide/strategy.html#Adding_a_Proxy_Server_in_http_Ac

... though lots of people prefer it the way Gunther suggested.

--Joshua
Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA