Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Petteri Sulonen <ps...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/21 13:08:43 UTC

[LOW-PRIORITY] Problem putting authoring area behind proxy

This is squarely in the "would be nice to know" category, but if any
of you have some extra time on your hands, I think I could learn
something.

My setup is now Apache 2 <- mod_proxy_http -> Jetty 6 at port 8080 <-> Lenya.

I've set up my proxies so that http://domain.com/ maps to
http://localhost:8080/lenya/hzc/live, and
http://domain.com/lenya/hzc/authoring maps to
http://localhost:8080/lenya/hzc/authoring. From proxy.conf:

ProxyPass '' http://localhost:8080/lenya/hzc/live
ProxyPass /lenya http://localhost:8080/lenya

>From publication.xml:

  <proxy area="live" ssl="false" url="http://domain.com"/>
  <proxy area="authoring" ssl="false"
url="http://domain.com/lenya/hzc/authoring"/>

This works fine.

However, I thought it'd be neat to shorten the URL's for the authoring
area as well, so I tried setting up

ProxyPass '' http://localhost:8080/lenya/hzc/live
ProxyPass /authoring http://localhost:8080/lenya/hzc/authoring
ProxyPass /lenya http://localhost:8080/lenya

with

 <proxy area="live" ssl="false" url="http://domain.com"/>
 <proxy area="authoring" ssl="false" url="http://domain.com/authoring"/>

However, this results in the JSESSIONID changing with every request,
forcing me to log in to every page. I take it the session cookie gets
somehow lost between the cracks somewhere. I have ProxyPreserveHost
On.

The instructions for Tomcat mention a problem like this:

"You'll certainly run into cookie problems when using a non-empty
context path (like lenya14 in the example above) instead of running
Lenya in the root context. This causes errors like "The session
doesn't contain the identity.". To avoid these problems, edit
$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml  and set the emptySessionPath attribute
of the Tomcat connector configuration to true. You find more
information in the Apache Tomcat configuration reference."

However, that advice isn't directly applicable to Jetty. Any advice?

Thanks, Petteri