Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/04/23 23:49:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] OpenJPA Graduation

OpenJPA has done a great job of forming a diverse community around a
great code base whose IP has been reviewed and approved for release,
and we're now a well-functioning, project in the incubator. So we are
now at the stage when we should think about when and how to leave the
incubator and graduate to the larger Apache community. The document
at [1] describes readiness to graduate.

There are two courses for graduating projects: to become an
independent Apache TLP or to join an existing TLP as a sub-project. I
believe that OpenJPA should become its own TLP for a few reasons: the
community is already very diverse and has established a good working
style; and there is no existing TLP upon which OpenJPA depends. There
is some synergy with the DB project but no dependency relationship.

As a TLP, OpenJPA would operate independent from other TLPs and be
responsible to the Apache board. As a TLP, the OpenJPA community
would decide on offering committerships to the project, and what and
when to release, subject to the regulations of the ASF.

So what does everyone think?

Craig

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
Process_Description.html#Graduation

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [DISCUSS] OpenJPA Graduation

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
I'd vote for the TLP graduation.  At first, I was with Patrick and could be
swayed either way.  But, then just this morning, I noticed that OpenEJP is
going for the TLP graduation, so we might as well follow suit.  And, as
Craig pointed out, it seems to be the general direction to move away from
"umbrella projects".

Kevin

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
I think that I'm about +0.5 for TLP graduation. It seems to make more
sense, and from what I understand, there is only a minimal amount of
additional work involved. As the +0.5 indicates, I could be swayed the
other direction though.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.
by email and then delete it.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Re: [DISCUSS] OpenJPA Graduation

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.
  I agree with the sentiment expressed -- OpenJPA has done a good job
working together on a good code base with a growing, diverse group of
contributors.  I'm proud of the work that's been done here.

  These days, the Board is wary of umbrella projects and is more
comfortable with pushing smaller projects up to the top-level.
Witness this with Shale, Cayenne, Tapestry, Velocity, and so on.  I'd
say TLP is the right place for OpenJPA based on my experience with the
ASF, but this really is your (the contributing community's) decision.

  It goes without saying, but Craig would serve the community well and
would be a great PMC Chair.

Eddie

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
FWIW, I third the "vote".

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
> I second that "vote", if you are not interested.

Just FTR, it's not so much that I'm not interested as much as I think
that I have much to learn in the ways of Apache before I'd be the best
PMC chair for our project.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Patrick,

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
In terms of graduation, if we go the top-level route, I'd like to
propose Craig as the PMC chair. I think that he'd be a good fit since