Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@apache.org> on 2022/11/04 17:57:54 UTC

Re: European Commission Workshop day on Open-Source Sustainability

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 11:42 AM Dirk-Willem van Gulik
<di...@webweaving.org> wrote:

> On 28 Oct 2022, at 17:27, Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:
>
> > Absolutely - that is great to have such support.
> >
> > I was a bit afraid that my points might be much more "private" than
> > the "ASF" voice in general so having the opportunity to get comms
> > involvement for such a potentially "wavy" event is cool.
>
> Well - regardless - unless we manage to create something like a position paper & get board approval -- any interaction at this level will always be on a personal basis.
>
> And even then - it is just that paper that represents the view of the ASF; not a person.
>
> I.e. one cannot speak on behalf of the ASF; only talk about what you personally think would work well according to your view on the apache community.

Agreed that these interactions are not "official" and I'd hope anybody
participating would be careful to mention their statements, etc. are
as individuals who are members/contributors (whatever is appropriate)
and not official statements on behalf of the foundation. (Unless there
is one.)

That said... the more we can speak with one voice and prep folks, the better.

--
Joe Brockmeier
Vice President Marketing & Publicity

Re: European Commission Workshop day on Open-Source Sustainability

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
Another one that came up during the prep time (and repost of the older Erasmus one as they strengthe each other):

-	Erasmus program for open source -- have 6 months of bursary / grant to work on open source near the tail end of your studies

	-	at a facility large enough to be able to build a pool of talent / ongoing experience, habits and culture & convey culture / capture.

-	Open source developer 'in residence'; with a salary & relocation / temporary housing stipend

	-	e.g. the concept where an open source developer can work for 6 to 24 month in an appropriate setting to work on open source in the public interret

	-	potentially combined with above to also have a pool of 'mentors' physically available

-	Travel fund which lets any student in STEM visit, during thier study, twice an open source event (e.g. like FOSDEM)
	and -also- funds any person with an accepted talk or workshop.

Just to add to the list of 'what is next'.

With kind regards,

Dw

Re: European Commission Workshop day on Open-Source Sustainability

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
All,

As Michiel cannot be present - may make sense for those that participate to also have a look at their analysis on:

	https://blog.nlnetlabs.nl/open-source-software-vs-the-cyber-resilience-act/

as it appears that that topic may well get introduced by the various moderators.

With kind regards,

Dw

Re: European Commission Workshop day on Open-Source Sustainability

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

As I didn't receive any update, I didn't book travel to Brussels.
Thanks DW for preparing the document !

I was swamped in several meetings and not able to join the call, sorry
about that.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Good for me. I **might** be late 15 minutes (but I will try to finish
my earlier call a bit before to be on time.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Apologies, unable to make this, was planning to, but work meetings intervened.

Gj

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org.INVALID>.
Folks,

Several of us are now either on panels or going to this event (at least 4 in 3 panels; or petty much every panel if I take the 'Friends of Apache' a bit more liberal).

I understood from Roman that, while he will be there, the ASF will not have any formal position at this event - or a specific message they want to get across. But I've not managed to prepare something with him in an apache contrext.

So would it make sense if those that go to have a short chat tomorrow evening, 1900 CET time in a general 'friends of open source and apache' sort of way ? Just to make sure that we more or less prioritise what we think is important / not create noice that dillutes something we all agree on.

I've created:

	https://meet.jit.si/moderated/6a0e28986b76ede1082453b5db022b71a6e1de734c93d138e79b5ab3c08f410a <https://meet.jit.si/moderated/6a0e28986b76ede1082453b5db022b71a6e1de734c93d138e79b5ab3c08f410a>

to prepare a bit. I've gathered what I read on

	https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JuPPcktiLpr9ei3r9n0JDhP2UTW7s5suLt_XAtmAeQU/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JuPPcktiLpr9ei3r9n0JDhP2UTW7s5suLt_XAtmAeQU/edit?usp=sharing>

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 6:27 PM Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:

> I am also scheduled for the "Workshop 3.4 Exploring practical solutions to
> ensure long term sustainability of open source software".

I'm now signed up to be on the:

"1.4: Identifying, fixing and managing critical open source software
used by European Public Services."

> Geertjan - agree on both - beer a day before and a zoom call to prepare -
> likely with Molly/Joe involved to get their help on messaging, and view.

+1. Should we pick up a venue as well?

> Related to what DW wrote - yep. We should always speak as individuals, but
> I think we can be better prepared and not caught by "press" if we got some
> kind of briefing from Molly/Joe. I have no experience speaking at EU
> forums, but I remember when I was speaking at a big banking conference when
> I was in a small Mobile Payment startup, I appreciated a lot all the
> briefing, help and suggestions from the people with PR/Marketing experience
> and I think that was one of the best prepared talks of mine.
> (I actually quit the startup soon after because I realized at that very
> conference that what our CEO was selling us internally was a complete
> dreampipe, but that's a completely different story :D).
>
> Best time for me is Tuesday, Thursday or Friday next week - anything
> before  3pm CET should work.

Works for me as well!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: European Commission Workshop day on Open-Source Sustainability

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
[...]

J.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.