Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2019/12/20 21:42:24 UTC

Debugging 554 Responses

Since my migration to AWS and to James 3.4.x, I'm getting several '554'
bounce responses from certain recipient servers.  I know this is a long
shot on this question.  But any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I've sent mail to mail-tester.com which has been incredibly useful in
resolving configuration issues in the past.  My mail is receiving a 10
out of 10 perfect score.  This means rDNS, SPF, DKIM, SpamAssassin,
blacklists, etc all are happy with my email. I even went so far as
requesting 2 additional IP addresses from AWS.  I reconfigured JAMES
several times to use the different IP addresses (and their equivalent
rDNS names) in the transport mailet.  Each time, I rechecked with
mail-tester.com and still got 10/10 with each different IP address.
Yet, certain receiving domains are still bouncing with a 554.  It's hard
to believe that three different IP addresses I received from AWS are all
blacklisted on some DNSBL site.  But I'm definitely not the one causing
a blacklisting.  The first emails I sent after changing to the 2nd and
3rd IP addresses bounced with the 554.

I completely understand that a recipient server can bounce an email for
any random reason.  It's just frustrating that they don't include any
reason at all other than generic 554 which pretty much means nothing
more than "you ain't gettin' in"

One instance of this problem is from a local school district domain.
I'm trying to locate the IT support person to try get more info on the
bounce.  But in the meantime, has anybody else had experiences like this
and might have an idea of what I might still be doing wrong that is so
offensive to these receiving server(s)?

Thanks.

Jerry