Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2007/10/09 16:45:11 UTC

Cocoon Installation problems on SunOS

Hi

We are trying to install Cocoon 2.1.8 under SunOS (version 5.7).  The
"vanilla" version of Cocoon installs and runs fine.  However, as soon
as we try and add a mySQL driver to the lib directory, and alter the
cocoon.xconf file, the Cocoon startup reaches a certain point - and then
Tomcat stops (see below). The last line in the Cocoon log file is:

WARN  (2007-10-09) 16:35.07:712 [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-Thread/ExcaliburComponentManager: disposing of handler for
unreleased component. role [org.apache.cocoon.forms.event.WidgetListenerBuilderSelector]

Note - the exact same configuration of Cocoon/driver/Java/configuration
is deployed and running on a Linux server platform without any problems.

Given that the log file is not very forthcoming, how do we go about
getting Cocoon to work on this platform?

(PS We have Cocoon 2.1.4 running DB apps OK on the same server, so
I assume this is because of some version differences in Cocoon...?)

Thanks
Derek

PS Nothing in the archives I can find that addresses this problem except
http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=113356786000252&w=2
which was not answered, although the same "end point" was reached
i.e. a final entry in the Tomcat error log, stating:
INFO [main] (QuartzScheduler.java:399) - Scheduler Cocoon_$_Tue_Oct_09_16:11:35_SAST_2007 started.

[Fraud] [Disarmed] Re: Cocoon Installation problems on SunOS

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
In the end, we figured out the problem was with using version 5
of the mysql driver.  Switching back to version 3 solved the problem.
Very strange, though, as the same version of Cocoon works fine
with it on another server.  Ah well, solved the problem of what to
do on the weekend :)

Derek Hohls wrote:
> In the meantime, rather than hacking around with all sorts of
> combinations, we are trying to locate and use another server
> (running Linux, which seems not to have these sorts of problems)

The server I was having that problem on was running Linux, so I believe
the issue to be OS-independent, but rather caused by some combination of
versions.  Or maybe something else entirely which I have forgotten about!

> Do you know of any detailed comparison of Tomcat vs Jetty, especially
> for configuring and running under Apache?

Sure!

Jetty is much lighter on memory and starts / restarts faster.  That's
all that matters to us, especially in development.  Which means we are
using it in deployment too, to avoid potential problems.

To connect Apache and Tomcat one usually uses the AJP13 protocol, with
the AJP13 connector, which is supposed to be slightly faster than HTTP.

Unfortunately using Jetty 4.2.23's AJP13 port caused weird problems
(random NullPointerException when using continuations!) so we switched
to Apache's reverse proxy functionality.  The configuration is like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName www.yourwebsite.com

        UseCanonicalName Off
        ProxyPreserveHost On
        ProxyPassReverse / http://10.0.0.3:8888/
        ProxyPass / http://10.0.0.3:8888/

</VirtualHost>

In this example 10.0.0.3 is the Cocoon server.  It could be 127.0.0.1.

Note #1: if the various Proxy* directives don't give you enough of a
fine-grained control over which requests go to Cocoon and which ones
stay in Apache, you can use rewrite rules with the [P] flag.

Note #2: when using reverse proxy, you won't find the remote IP address
(that of the web browser) in request.getRemoteAddr(), but rather in
request.getHeader('X-Forwarded-For')

HTH

Tobia

Re: Cocoon Installation problems on SunOS

Posted by Tobia Conforto <to...@linux.it>.

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
Tobia

I appreciate the input.  In the meantime, rather than hacking around with
all sorts of combinations, we are trying to locate and use another server
(running Linux, which seems not to have these sorts of problems).

Thanks
Derek

PS Do you know of any detailed comparison of Tomcat vs Jetty,

Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Derek Hohls wrote:
> > We are trying to install Cocoon 2.1.8 under SunOS (version 5.7).
> > The "vanilla" version of Cocoon installs and runs fine.  However, as
> > soon as we try and add a mySQL driver to the lib directory, and
> > alter the cocoon.xconf file, the Cocoon startup reaches a certain
> > point - and then Tomcat stops
> >
> > Nothing in the archives I can find that addresses this problem except
> > http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=113356786000252&w=2
> > which was not answered
>
> All this sounds really weird. Seems to be only in a very special
> environment setup where it fails. But since Toby is still around on the
> list and has not given up with Cocoon he might have figured that out.

Uh... this is from two years ago, I don't remember how I solved it.
Sorry!

Now we are running Cocoon 2.1.10 on the bundled Jetty 4.2.23 (which
I recommend over Tomcat, by the way) with MySQL Connector 5.0.6 on the
same old server and everything works well.

But we did run on Tomcat for a while, so I'm sure that problem was
solved, maybe by upgrading Tomcat, Cocoon, the MySQL connector, or
by fixing the classpath...

Tobia

Re: Cocoon Installation problems on SunOS

Posted by Tobia Conforto <to...@linux.it>.

Posted by Alfred Nathaniel <an...@apache.org>.
You've got a real vintage piece of equipment there.  SunOS 2.7, better
known as Solaris 7, stems from the 20th century.  (The current version
is Solaris 10).

IIRC before Solaris 9 a lot of patches were recommended to install for
using Java.  Do you have all these?  Also, were the libraries built on
that old system, or maybe they come from a more recent system.

Anyway, on Solaris there is the "truss" command to trace system calls.
That often gives a good hint for where the problem lays.

HTH, Alfred.

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
Joerg

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.