Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io> on 2016/02/25 21:07:19 UTC

[VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Hello Incubator PMC,

The Apache MADlib (incubating) community has voted on and approved the
proposal to release MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1.

The voting result is available at:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-madlib-dev/201602.mbox/%3CCAKBQfzSkXyGVQSKrY99zc9UmTE_NfXcYrxDGB%3DCMBmuCKLxbAg%40mail.gmail.com%3E

This is the 1st release for Apache MADlib (incubating).

There are two main goals for this release:
* Clear all potential IP issues in the code base and make it legally ready
to be adopted by the community.
* Share the new features that have been developed so far, in order to give
the community a good sense of the upcoming 1.9 release.

For more information including release notes, please see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/MADlib+1.9+alpha

This is a source code tarball only release.

To run check RAT, please do:

$mvn verify

first to get the correct RAT output.  Look inside of pom.xml to see the
classes of exceptions we're managing there for RAT.

We're voting on the source (tag):
rc/v1.9alpha-rc1

Source Files:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/1.9alpha-incubating-rc1/

Commit to be voted on:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-madlib.git;a=commit;h=581d07b03ba6c7f81fd791548f1b0f7c4909c710

KEYS file containing PGP Keys we use to sign the release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/KEYS

Please vote:

[ ] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

*** The vote will be open until Monday Feb 29 at 6 pm Pacific time. ***

Thank you,
Frank McQuillan

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
With the blocking (vestiges of MPL code) jiras fixed and the blessing
from legal-discuss on how to proceed re: missing BSD licensing headers:
     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201603.mbox/%3C9D1AF43C-370B-4E58-B0EF-2E29D242F50B%40jaguNET.com%3E
I propose we move ahead with RC2.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> Good point, Roman -- I don't think there's one right answer there.
> Copyright credits in open source works with lots of collaborators are
> a can of worms.
<snip>
> Maybe add a short header to each file (vet wording with
> legal-discuss), something to the effect of…

Could the files in question be considered copyright MADLib project? (the pre/non Apache one that is)

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

>> - Large a number of files are missing apache headers (i.e. .sh, .in, .c, .h, .hpp, .py. .cpp files)
>
> That's on purpose. Those files are BSD licensed regardless of whether
> they have the BSD header. I don't think we can add the licensing BSD
> headers post factum (like I said Pivotal isn't a sole copyright owner).

Good point, Roman -- I don't think there's one right answer there.
Copyright credits in open source works with lots of collaborators are
a can of worms.

I think reasonable people can disagree about whether this particular
issue should block a release. If there were no headers there to begin
with, there's nothing illegal as far as I can tell -- it's just that
information about the licensing isn't being conveyed as well as it
could be to consumers for a fairly large number of files.

> Thus I noted this following in LICENSE:
> The rest of the source code, unless explicitly marked with an Apache License
> header, should be assumed to be coming from previous life of MADlib as a
> BSD licensed project and is available under the following license:

Maybe add a short header to each file (vet wording with
legal-discuss), something to the effect of...

  /* This file is available under a BSD-3-clause license -- see LICENSE */

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I don't think I can agree agree. While you're correct in principle,
> in practice we're talking about extra 3 lines in the NOTICE file

Clearly not a major issue - just pointing it out.

> That's on purpose. Those files are BSD licensed regardless of whether
> they have the BSD header.

A condition of the BSD license is to include the full text of the licences including the copyright owner. Usually that’s done in the header but can be elsewhere. See 1. of the 3 Clause BSD license [1]

That may be the case but it ’s not clear looking at each file what it is licensed under or who the copyright owner is. In later releases extra files could easily slip in. If the original files have no headers how did you know that each was BSD licensed? Even if the package a whole was BSD licensed that may not mean that each file is BSD licensed.

For instance that that clause mean the README.md is BSD licensed because it doesn’t have an Apache header? Or what about recent files added with no headers? [3]  Or the changes to this file? [4]

> I don't think we can add the licensing BSD headers post factum (like I said Pivotal isn't a sole copyright owner).

If you are not the sole owner are all copyright owners listed? I would see no harm in adding a BSD header to a file that was licensed that way. How could someone object to make license and copyright ownership clearer? Removing it however would require permission.

>> - BSD licensed [4]
> Ditto.
>> - BSD licensed [5]
> Ditto.

But have different copyright owners so again that probably still needs to go into LICENSE for clarity.

The requirement is just that the full text and copyright owner be included so if it in the header there’s legally no need to add it to LICENSE but that current policy / advice. [2]

I’m probably said enough and will let other IPMC state their views, but currently I think I’m still a -1 on this release.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
3. https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/blob/8fa2f539f394bb38107ece3a0c9a2da714641978/src/ports/postgres/modules/svm/kernel_approximation.py_in
4. https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib/commit/dfeffb6548e5816c8705131f092a50d304b671d3

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi Justin,

as usual thanks a million for your thorough review. A couple of points
though.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry -1 (binding) for possible inclusion of MPL licensed source code in the source
> release and uncertainty of licensing of files missing headers.
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures and hashes good
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - LICENSE is missing a couple of things
> - NOTICE includes unnecessary copyright lines. NOTICE should be minimal [3]

I don't think I can agree agree. While you're correct in principle,
in practice we're talking about extra 3 lines in the NOTICE file
with, I believe, most of them solving an issue of potentially
missing headers that Pivotal don't have the rights to add back (we
are not the copyright holders). See more below.

> - Large a number of files are missing apache headers (i.e. .sh, .in, .c, .h, .hpp, .py. .cpp files)

That's on purpose. Those files are BSD licensed regardless of whether
they have the BSD header. I don't think we can add the licensing BSD
headers post factum (like I said Pivotal isn't a sole copyright owner).

Thus I noted this following in LICENSE:
The rest of the source code, unless explicitly marked with an Apache License
header, should be assumed to be coming from previous life of MADlib as a
BSD licensed project and is available under the following license:

> LICENSE is missing:
> - BSD license code in [2]

Sure, but see above.

> - BSD licensed [4]

Ditto.

> - BSD licensed [5]

Ditto.

> - MIT licensed [6]

Now this is a great point -- we gotta fix it.

> - There are several areas where file are missing headers,
> it unclear if these are 3rd party files or Apache licensed file. This may effect LICENSE and NOTICE.

See above.

> There may be a more serious  issue with this file [7] as
> it seems to be based on [8] and looks to be MPL licensed.
> MPL licensed source code cannot be used in a source release. [9]

Huh. That's a great point. Let me do some digging and get back to you.

> I’m also not 100% what the contents of licenses/third_party/ has to do with the source release.
> There seems to be a couple of extra non bundled items in there and the items are not mentioned
> in LICENSE? Are these for a binary convenience release?

Yup. That's the idea!

> Other very minor things:
> - best to use an apache email address for signing

You're echoing my feedback here! Thanks!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Sorry -1 (binding) for possible inclusion of MPL licensed source code in the source release and uncertainty of licensing of files missing headers.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes good
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE is missing a couple of things
- NOTICE includes unnecessary copyright lines. NOTICE should be minimal [3]
- Large a number of files are missing apache headers (i.e. .sh, .in, .c, .h, .hpp, .py. .cpp files)
- No unexpected binaries
- Can compile from source

LICENSE is missing:
- BSD license code in [2]
- BSD licensed [4]
- BSD licensed [5]
- MIT licensed [6]
- There are several areas where file are missing headers, it unclear if these are 3rd party files or Apache licensed file. This may effect LICENSE and NOTICE.

There may be a more serious  issue with this file [7] as it seems to be based on [8] and looks to be MPL licensed. MPL licensed source code cannot be used in a source release. [9]

Not sure how this files are licensed [10][11][12] as they are missing headers. There a quite a number of other .c and .h files missing headers in the same directories as well. This could be as simple as missing headers or is it that they are not Apache licensed and 3rd party code? There are serval other places where this is also an issue e.g. [13][14][15][16][17] + others.

if as noted in the pom.xml file this files are  previous BSD licensed files from MADlib (and not 3rd party software) and part of the software grant then they should have Apache headers.

I’m also not 100% what the contents of licenses/third_party/ has to do with the source release. There seems to be a couple of extra non bundled items in there and the items are not mentioned in LICENSE? Are these for a binary convenience release?

Other very minor things:
- best to use an apache email address for signing
- best to use short form of the license and mention the license name in LICENSE [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
2. ./src/ports/postgres/cmake/FindPostgreSQL.cmake
3. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice
4. ./cmake/UseLATEX.cmake
5. ./cmake/FindArmadillo.cmake
6. ./src/madpack/yaml/*
7. i.//doc/etc/navtree_hack.js
8. https://github.com/bravegag/eigen-magma/blob/master/doc/eigen_navtree_hacks.js
9. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
10. ./methods/array_ops/src/pg_gp/array_ops.c
11. ./methods/cart/src/pg_gp/dt.c
12. ./methods/kmeans/src/pg_gp/kmeans.c
13. ./src/modules/assoc_rules/*
14. ./src/modules/convex/*