Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Frank Malenfant <fr...@verbois.com> on 2016/07/08 18:56:37 UTC

Bad file orientation in printer

Hi,

    As I have done many times before without any problem, I am trying to use
the PrintPDF command line tool to send a PDF (see attached file) to a
printer which is a Zebra ZT230. It is a label, so I generated a media sized
PDF file using PHP�s ezPDF like I do since 10 years, configured the default
settings for the Zebra printer in Windows Server 2012 (see screenshot below)
and used pdfBox v2.0.2 (also tried v1.8.10). The label is 4 inches wide x 2
inches long, but it prints like it�s rotated 90� counter-clock-wise and on
the right. Here is what I�ve tried so far before I reached your community.

1.       I printed the PDF directly through Acrobat, it printed Well.

2.       I tried to generate a label that is rotated to match the behaviour
of the printer (rotating the PDF file by 90�), it acted as if I rotated it
by 180�, it�s still not displaying the content with the good orientation on
the media.

3.       I changed the definition of my PDF file from 2 x 4 (with portrait
orientation) to 4 x 2 (with landscape orientation), same result as #2

4.       Modified the default printer settings from �Portrait� to
�Landscape�, no difference at all

5.       Changed the media size in the default printer settings from 4 x 2
to 2 x 4, no difference at all

  So, I�m pretty sure I�ve ruled out my PDF generator from the equation (+
I�ve been using it to generate labels like these for years on Windows Server
2008 and CentOs 7 servers), I also know from printing through Acrobat that
the printer behaves well and that the printer settings are OK. I really
don�t know why pdfBox could be working differently on this machine but it
looks like the only likely option left.

Is there anyway I could force some settings or orientation through pdfBox
using the Command line tools or do you have any ideas for a fix I could try?

Please help me, I�ve struggling with this for hours and I�m getting pretty
frustrated although I made sure to rule out as much possibilities as I could
think before I contact you.

Many thanks,

      Sorry it�s in French, I translated some words to help you understand

Frank Malenfant

Analyste / Responsable T.I.

Verbois

140, L.P. Lebrun

Rivi�re-du-Loup, QC  G5R 5W8

T: 418.868.0500  #222 -  F: 418.868.0055

S.F. : 1.888.775.0500

 <http://instagram.com/verbois.admin?ref=badge> Instagram_24.
<http://www.facebook.com/creationsverbois> facebook
<http://fr.pinterest.com/jrverbois/> pinterest

Re: Bad file orientation in printer

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 08.07.2016 um 20:56 schrieb Frank Malenfant:

> Is there anyway I could force some settings or orientation through
> pdfBox using the Command line tools or do you have any ideas for a fix
> I could try?

I added an orientation parameter to the PrintPDF tool, it will be
available within hours

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/pdfbox/pdfbox-app/2.0.3-SNAPSHOT/

However I'm having a weird effect here, stuff is cut off on the left.

Alternative:

Use PDFToImage to convert to PNG and print that one somehow.

Tilman

Re: Bad file orientation in printer

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Your file didn't go through, although I have it (as moderator).

I tried printing on an ordinary printer and it was always 90 rotated,
even with two other java products.

What worked is this code:

                 PrinterJob job = PrinterJob.getPrinterJob();
                 job.setPageable(new PDFPageable(document,
Orientation.PORTRAIT, false, 0));
                 if (job.printDialog())
                 {
                     job.print();
                 }

Don't know if this works with your printer. I remember having heard such
problems before.

You could also try replacing the 0 with 200 or 300.

Tilman

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 08.07.2016 um 20:56 schrieb Frank Malenfant:

> Is there anyway I could force some settings or orientation through
> pdfBox using the Command line tools or do you have any ideas for a fix
> I could try?

Oops, I missed that line. You want something for the command line tools.
Is the problem that you're not a java dev and needs something to be
called from the command line?

Tilman