Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> on 2005/10/11 18:41:59 UTC

[m2] java execution plugin

I would like to execute my artifact that has a main method in it and
I remember that there was a java -jar plugin that automatically takes
into account your dependencies in the classpath. Does anyone know
where it is, because I can't seem to locate it with google.

As of beta3 is this the best way to go? I have tried my hand at using
the assembly plugin, but was defeated by the lack of docs for the
assembly xml file format.

Thanks
AW

Re: [m2] java execution plugin

Posted by Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com>.
Pardon my ignorance but I don't see anything called execute*** on
that page.
Is it no longer available for download?

***

Nothing much constructive to say on the document only that it looks
great and
look forward to an initial release.

Just off the top of my head how about not bothering with a bunch of
shell scripts
at all, just have one archive file with all that scrappy shell script
logic written in
java instead. Could even call it a mar file (maven-archive). Other
lame suggestions
include aar file (application-archive) or car (console-archive). I
won't go on.

Inside you would have a lib directory with all the dependencies,
somewhere else
inside you would have your runtime-descriptor file - obviously I'm
making an
analogy here with a war file. Then don't bother with command
line arguments, use some sort of mar.xml file with configuration
instead.

Also inside the jar should be a class called
org.apache.maven.Launcher whose
Main would know how to kick off the correct main defined at build
time (default)
and overridden in your mar.xml file in case you have more than one
main inside.

So at the command line you only ever see:

java -jar killerapp.mar mar.xml

AW

Re: [m2] java execution plugin

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
we are planning on blowing it away and replacing it with something like what
is described here...

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+Runtime

comments on that doc would be welcome as well

jesse

On 10/11/05, dan tran <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://mojo.codehaus.org execute-maven-plugin still in sandbox
> -Dan
>

> On 10/11/05, Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to execute my artifact that has a main method in it and
> > I remember that there was a java -jar plugin that automatically takes
> > into account your dependencies in the classpath. Does anyone know
> > where it is, because I can't seem to locate it with google.
> >
> > As of beta3 is this the best way to go? I have tried my hand at using
> > the assembly plugin, but was defeated by the lack of docs for the
> > assembly xml file format.
> >
> > Thanks
> > AW

jesse mcconnell