Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nick Wales <ni...@nickwales.co.uk> on 2013/01/25 00:31:57 UTC

Highly Available DNS

I'm setting up a basic zone with shared networking and my last stumbling block is the single VR providing DHCP and DNS.

Our plan was to setup conditional forwarding on our existing DNS servers to the cloudstack VR however what we're concerned about is the lack of high availability. I realise the instance can be restarted should any issues arise, however a) this creates a period of downtime and b) if we need to destroy and recreate there's no guarantee it will come back on the same IP… in fact we've tested and it came back on a different address.

This leaves us with a single forwarding option that could potentially change requiring a manual update elsewhere. Is there anything we can do to alleviate these concerns other than setup an alternative which would insert and remove records into our existing DNS servers.

Nick

Re: Highly Available DNS

Posted by Nick Wales <ni...@nickwales.co.uk>.
On 24 Jan 2013, at 17:37, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Nick Wales <ni...@nickwales.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm setting up a basic zone with shared networking and my last stumbling block is the single VR providing DHCP and DNS.
>>
>> Our plan was to setup conditional forwarding on our existing DNS servers to the cloudstack VR however what we're concerned about is the lack of high availability. I realise the instance can be restarted should any issues arise, however a) this creates a period of downtime and b) if we need to destroy and recreate there's no guarantee it will come back on the same IP… in fact we've tested and it came back on a different address.
>>
>> This leaves us with a single forwarding option that could potentially change requiring a manual update elsewhere. Is there anything we can do to alleviate these concerns other than setup an alternative which would insert and remove records into our existing DNS servers.
>>
>> Nick
>
> Redundant VR?
>
> --David

Not an option for a shared network offering. I'd need to have an isolated network offering with Source Nat enabled. Not sure I understand why it suddenly becomes important in that configuration and not others.

Re: Highly Available DNS

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Nick Wales <ni...@nickwales.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm setting up a basic zone with shared networking and my last stumbling block is the single VR providing DHCP and DNS.
>
> Our plan was to setup conditional forwarding on our existing DNS servers to the cloudstack VR however what we're concerned about is the lack of high availability. I realise the instance can be restarted should any issues arise, however a) this creates a period of downtime and b) if we need to destroy and recreate there's no guarantee it will come back on the same IP… in fact we've tested and it came back on a different address.
>
> This leaves us with a single forwarding option that could potentially change requiring a manual update elsewhere. Is there anything we can do to alleviate these concerns other than setup an alternative which would insert and remove records into our existing DNS servers.
>
> Nick

Redundant VR?

--David