Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Felix Wiemann <Fe...@gmx.net> on 2005/03/12 18:32:18 UTC

Behavior when revision dates are out-of-order

I'd like to migrate a project from CVS to Subversion.  However, I do not
want to convert the whole repository, but only a part of it and later
convert the remaining parts and load them via "svnadmin load".

Now I'm seeing the problem that the revision numbers will be
using the "-r {DATE}" syntax.

Is Subversion's behavior in any way predictable in this regard?  I.e.,
will it always choose the lowest or highest possible revision number?
If not, is there any way to work around this problem?

--
When replying to my email address, please ensure
that the mail header contains 'Felix Wiemann'.

http://www.ososo.de/

Re: Behavior when revision dates are out-of-order

Posted by Felix Wiemann <Fe...@gmx.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Subversion's ability to convert a -r{datestring} into a specific
> revision number is completely dependent on the repository revisions'
> datestamps being in chronological order.  It does a binary search on
> the datestrings to hone-in on the specific revision.

OK.  As a workaround, I wrote a patch which adds a --redate option to
cvs2svn, so that revision time stamps are set to the *current* date, not
the original commit dates.

See
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.cvs2svn.devel/947>.

svnadmin would probably a better place for a --redate option, but with
cvs2svn it was just particularly easy to implement (and sufficient for
my problem).

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 14, 2005, at 12:54 PM, Steve Greenland wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:36:40PM -0800, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure you can modify the dates on commits yourself.  Try
>> "svn propedit --revprop svn:date XXXX" where XXXX is the proper date
>> format.
>
> I don't think the problem was the dates, but that the (converted)
> commit
> dates are not in sequence with the revision numbers. This actually
> isn't
> wrong[1], per se, but it can be confusing.
>
> None of which answers Felix's original question...

Subversion's ability to convert a -r{datestring} into a specific
revision number is completely dependent on the repository revisions'
datestamps being in chronological order.  It does a binary search on
the datestrings to hone-in on the specific revision.  If the revisions'
datestamps are out of order, the binary search might return really
weird results.

This is a known issue, as old as the hills, issue #752.

There's no workaround.

If admins load new dumpfiles onto the end of existing repositories,
this is a currently unavoidable side-effect.  You need to tell your
users to stop using -r{DATE}.

Re: Behavior when revision dates are out-of-order

Posted by Steve Greenland <st...@lsli.com>.
On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:36:40PM -0800, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you can modify the dates on commits yourself.  Try
> "svn propedit --revprop svn:date XXXX" where XXXX is the proper date
> format.

I don't think the problem was the dates, but that the (converted) commit
dates are not in sequence with the revision numbers. This actually isn't
wrong[1], per se, but it can be confusing.

None of which answers Felix's original question...

Steve

[1] Consider to repos, A and B, that have been in use for a year. Now
dump B, and load into A. All the commits from B will have a higher
revision number than any in A, but the dates will be the original commit
times.

--
"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll ask
about Exchange Server next.

Re: Behavior when revision dates are out-of-order

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.
I'm pretty sure you can modify the dates on commits yourself.  Try
"svn propedit --revprop svn:date XXXX" where XXXX is the proper date
format.
--
... users want control ... [Microsoft's Internet] Explorer
wants them to sit still and shut up.