Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Red al tubor <re...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/22 19:55:00 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd.conf for oracle app 10g

Hello Guys,
I am new here, i am facing a problem in our Oracle Application Server 10g
... i configured httpd.conf in a recommended way from oracle...
The Problem is that when more than 500 session are opened the Server fails
down and the cpu is running full 100%....
httpd process in top takes 100% from the cpu???

Any idea about how it works and how can i manage the TCP/IP connection? or
Maximize the performance

Any idea guys...
Thanks in advance...
Regards,
RN

Re: [users@httpd] httpd.conf for oracle app 10g

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/22/07, Red al tubor <re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> I am new here, i am facing a problem in our Oracle Application Server 10g
> ... i configured httpd.conf in a recommended way from oracle...
> The Problem is that when more than 500 session are opened the Server fails
> down and the cpu is running full 100%....
> httpd process in top takes 100% from the cpu???
>
> Any idea about how it works and how can i manage the TCP/IP connection? or
> Maximize the performance

To start, you need to change the MaxClients directive to limit the
number of apache connections to something your system can handle.

Then if you want to figure out why you can't handle more connections,
you need to do some work. Exactly what are the limiting resources? Do
you have enough memory? Is the database responding quickly enough?

It is rather likely that the problems are related to the oracle
modules included with apache, since all the heavy-lifting (database
connections and processing) are going on in those modules. To be sure,
you'd need to get a live backtrace of some of the httpd child
processes that are pegging the cpu:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#backtrace

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] httpd.conf for oracle app 10g

Posted by Josh Wyatt <Jo...@hcssystems.com>.
Red al tubor wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> I am new here, i am facing a problem in our Oracle Application Server 10g
> ... i configured httpd.conf in a recommended way from oracle...
> The Problem is that when more than 500 session are opened the Server fails
> down and the cpu is running full 100%....
> httpd process in top takes 100% from the cpu???
>
> Any idea about how it works and how can i manage the TCP/IP connection? or
> Maximize the performance
>
> Any idea guys...
> Thanks in advance...
> Regards,
> RN

Hi,

Can you provide us with more information about your installation?

1. Are you running SSL?

2. What class (architecture, number of CPUs, physical configuration) of webserver platform?

If your server hardware is moderately recent (i.e. pentium 4 xeon-class) with enough memory, you should be able to handle hundreds of clients easily.  We run our Oracle AS frontends with 'MaxClients 1024' on dual-CPU xeon systems, hyperthreaded, and normally see a load average of about 1 with ~400 clients.  These also run SSL natively.

Thanks,
Josh