Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com> on 2007/03/21 11:28:22 UTC

WODEN-152, Xerces dependency for schema validation

Lawrence,
WODEN-152 refers to our dependency on Xerces in the DOM implementation of
Woden. I think I recall that you had to use the Xerces API to enable
schema validation because of some problem using JAXP. Can you refresh my
memory or correct me on this. Thanks.

John Kaputin

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: WODEN-152, Xerces dependency for schema validation

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Michael,

I just took a look through the Woden code base and it looks like we may no
longer require Xerces specifically. If I remember correctly, we used to
use Xerces for schema validation (that is, validation of inline and
imported schemas) but we have since moved to XmlSchema. The only
references I found with a search are for setting Xerces specific
properties on the parser. (Well, there's also a reference in one of the
test classes but this doesn't add a dependency to Woden we can easily fix
this.) As you said, we can enable schema validation using the standard
interface and I think we can do the same for the namespaces feature.

John - As per the comment below (from DOMWSDLReader), can we remove the
schema location property now that Woden includes a URI resolver?

parser.setFeature(org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.SAX_FEATURE_PREFIX +
org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.NAMESPACES_FEATURE, true);
parser.setFeature(org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.SAX_FEATURE_PREFIX +
org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.NAMESPACE_PREFIXES_FEATURE, true);

parser.setFeature(org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.SAX_FEATURE_PREFIX +
org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.VALIDATION_FEATURE, true);
parser.setFeature(org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.XERCES_FEATURE_PREFIX +
org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.SCHEMA_VALIDATION_FEATURE, true);
// TODO: This external schema location should be removed once an URI
resolution framework
// with a catalog is added to Woden.

parser.setProperty(org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.XERCES_PROPERTY_PREFIX
+ org.apache.xerces.impl.Constants.SCHEMA_LOCATION,
"http://www.w3.org/ns/wsdl " + resolveURI(
"http://www.w3.org/2007/03/wsdl/wsdl20.xsd") + "
http://www.w3.org/ns/wsdl-extensions " + resolveURI(
"http://www.w3.org/2007/03/wsdl/wsdl20-extensions.xsd") + "
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema " + resolveURI(
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd"));

Lawrence

Michael Glavassevich/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
03/21/2007 02:56 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: WODEN-152, Xerces dependency for schema validation

Hi Lawrence,

Out of curiosity, why is this dependency required? Both JAXP 1.2 and 1.3+
have standard mechanisms [1] for enabling schema validation during parsing

and in memory. Xerces, Saxon, Java 5+ and any other implementation of JAXP

1.2 or 1.3+ supports these.

[1] http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-pcfp.html#faq-4

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development