Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/07/24 18:26:59 UTC

ApacheCon Schedule announced: Help still needed

We're delighted to announce the schedule for ApacheCon Europe 2014

http://t.co/yVMgqGW80L

There are still several ways that you can you can help. Examine the
parts of the schedule you care about and:

* Identify talks that are in a sub-optimal order
* Identify speakers that are speaking twice at once, or back-to-back
* Read talk titles and abstracts - send me edits for grammar, clarity,
spelling, whatever. Point out boring titles.

And, most importantly, tweet, blog, facebook, G+, mail user lists, dev
lists, and PMC lists, put up posters, and get the word out. Follow
@apachecon on Twitter and obsessively retweet everything.

Early bird pricing ends AUGUST 1, so the next week is important in
getting tickets sold.

Thanks!

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheCon Schedule announced: Help still needed

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> * Identify speakers that are speaking twice at once, or back-to-back

I have two talks back to back on the same day (Monday 350 + 4:50) but I'm good with that.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: ApacheCon Schedule announced: Help still needed

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> ...* Identify talks that are in a sub-optimal order...

I have 3 talks back-to-back on Nov.18 starting at 14h40. There's a
break between the first two so those would work, but no break between
second and third talk. if one of those can be moved that would be
great.

-Bertrand

Re: ApacheCon Schedule announced: Help still needed

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
"The" would be a noun in that sentence and not an article.

While I'd prefer standard capitalization, I think the most important
thing is consistent capitalization rules for all talks.  Let's pick a
style and use it for all of them.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> * Read talk titles and abstracts - send me edits for grammar, clarity,
> spelling, whatever. Point out boring titles.

I started to go through and send you the full list of changes, but
then realized it'd be faster for you to make the changes directly
rather than to try to merge my changes in.  Let me know if you'd
prefer a comprehensive list, though.  Here's a couple of
recommendations.

Inconsistent "&/and".  I'd recommend changing "&" to "and":

    Continental Breakfast and Registration

Inconsistent capitalization.   I'd recommend changing titles to
standard capitalization rules.  Capitalize only the first word and
important words in a title, not articles (a, an, the), prepositions
(in, to, of, with, etc.), or conjunctions (and, but, or, as, for,
etc.):

    Keynote: iDemocracy and Political Reform; How the Internet Is
Changing the Relationship Between the Governing and the Governed -
Douglas Carswell, MP

    Accelerating Big Data Application Development with Cascading -
Supreet Oberoi, Concurrent, Inc.