Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/02/13 15:17:34 UTC

[5.0.1-dev] Testing with JRockit 8

For my book, I have been testing Tomcat with JRockit.

I tested on a Win2k / Linux dual boot box, so it has the advantage of
allowing to compare OSes :)

The result:
- on Windows, its performance was pretty much amazing (it *did* actually
beat IBM on Linux, which was previously making Windows look really bad).
- on Linux, it locks up the computer after a few requests and I have to
kill -9 all Java threads individually (why ?).

I don't think there's a problem with Tomcat which would cause that. For
the record, I was using RH 8 with the latest kernel patch (the one
Costin says is bad in his weblog ;-) ).
The main disadvantage of JRockit is its insane memory usage (basically,
it's 2* Sun Hotspot client; maybe there will be a use for those Athlon
64s even for small servers after all ;-) ).

The other result is that Tomcat on Linux appears to run more reliably
than Tomcat on Windows (except for the socket lingering "bug" that did
cause problems), as on Windows, with all VMs, a few connections are
rejected (while it never happens on Linux). I don't believe this
behavior is caused by a Tomcat bug.

Any comments, or anyone able to reproduce this ?

Remy

Re: [5.0.1-dev] Testing with JRockit 8

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
John Trollinger wrote:
> I have a build from cvs of 5.0 running on RH 8 JDK 1.4.1 and have had no
> problems, but have not been doing performance testing.

Tomcat 4 or 5 is running fine on RH 8 for me (obviously) with Sun or IBM
VMs.
I was talking specifically about Tomcat 5 (4 is likely the same) +
JRockit 8 on RH 8.0. As the VM was really fast on Windows, and the IBM
VM on Linux was otherwise making the Sun VMs for Windows look bad, I
wanted to compare with JRockit on the same OS.

Posted by John Trollinger <ja...@trollingers.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.

I just ran a half dozen benchmarks with bea JRockit jdk1.4.1 for linux. The performance was better until it locked up bad and required a hard reset. One thing I noticed is the memory usage was almost double and the CPU usage was also higher. The numbers were consistently better than both sun and ibm jdk, but on my 8th benchmark it locked up bad.

I have no idea why, but it would seem like there is a stability issue with the linux version of JRockit. The system i'm running on is RedHat 8.0 on a AMD XP 2ghz and 1gig of DDR RAM.

peter

 Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:For my book, I have been testing Tomcat with JRockit.