Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by "Rudnick, Jack" <Ja...@cable.comcast.com> on 2011/12/09 20:36:17 UTC

OutOfMemoryException similar to DIRMINA-302, What happened to WriteThrottleFilter?

Hello all
I am using mina and I have a problem that exhibits similar behavior to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-302
I notice that there was a WriteThrottleFilter committed to the 2.0.0M1 as an attempt to address this issue, but I don't see that filter in 2.0.0M5 (the version I am running)
anyone have any thoughts on what has happened to this filter?  It looks like it appears in the test package of the "sandbox" right now.

Thanks
Jack

Re: FW: OutOfMemoryException similar to DIRMINA-302, What happened to WriteThrottleFilter?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 12/9/11 8:59 PM, Rudnick, Jack wrote:
> I sent this message to the dev mailing list, but maybe it's more appropriate for users mail list?
>
> From: "Rudnick, Jack"<Ja...@cable.comcast.com>>
> Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 14:36:16 -0500
> To:<de...@mina.apache.org>>
> Subject: OutOfMemoryException similar to DIRMINA-302, What happened to WriteThrottleFilter?
>
> Hello all
> I am using mina and I have a problem that exhibits similar behavior to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-302
> I notice that there was a WriteThrottleFilter committed to the 2.0.0M1 as an attempt to address this issue, but I don't see that filter in 2.0.0M5 (the version I am running)
> anyone have any thoughts on what has happened to this filter?  It looks like it appears in the test package of the "sandbox" right now.
Yes, it seems it has been sandboxed around 4 years ago. Here is the reason :

"I'd like to propose to drop the current traffic throttling filters from
  2.0.  The reasoning behind this proposal is:

  1) Traffic throttling is very difficult to implement - our implementation
  seems to be buggy.
  2) Most operating systems already provide QoS stack.

  Of course, this doesn't mean we have to drop existing overload prevention
  mechanism included in OrderedThreadPoolExecutor and
  UnorderedThreadPoolExecutor.

  WDYT?"

> Thanks
> Jack

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

FW: OutOfMemoryException similar to DIRMINA-302, What happened to WriteThrottleFilter?