Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by "Carole E. Mah" <ca...@mama.stg.brown.edu> on 2002/05/10 20:43:45 UTC

source code?

Dear all (esp. Shawn),

Is it possible for us to get hold of your source code for any given tag
library?

Not to modify it, but just in order to understand the tag libraries
better.

Also, the doc and examples in standard-examples.war and standard-doc.war
don't seem to bear too much resemblace to javadoc!

Are people in the process of doing javadoc for the JSTL taglibs? Non-JSTL
taglibs like DBTags have great javadoc online (this is why I ask, as a
point of comparison).

Thank you,
-carole

Carole E. Mah                     carolem@stg.brown.edu
           Senior Programmer/Analyst
   Brown University Scholarly Technology Group
               phn 401-863-2669
               fax 401-863-9313
            http://www.stg.brown.edu/
  personal: http://www.stg.brown.edu/~carolem/

Re: source code?

Posted by Paul DuBois <pa...@snake.net>.
At 14:43 -0400 5/10/02, Carole E. Mah wrote:
>Dear all (esp. Shawn),
>
>Is it possible for us to get hold of your source code for any given tag
>library?

Jakarta tag libraries (e.g., JSTL, DBTags) generally are available
in both binary and source form at jakarta.apache.org.

Re: source code?

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Sun, 12 May 2002, Carole E. Mah wrote:

> I just don't find any doc. I've seen so far, not the javadoc, not the
> standard-examples, that is really, in your words. comprehensive.
>
> For example nowhere except on this very list was I able to find out
> anything about x:param.
>
> I am quite sure you have documented this sort of thing somewhere; maybe I
> am not very good at looking for it.

Every tag and attribute (and each class and method in the API) is
described comprehensively in the JSTL specification.  The Proposed Final
Draft of the specification has been publicly available for some time now.
You can download it using the links from JSTL's page at Jakarta Taglibs,
or from

 http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/

Hope that helps,

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSP Standard Tag Library"   http://www.jstlbook.com

Re: source code?

Posted by "Carole E. Mah" <ca...@mama.stg.brown.edu>.
On Fri, 10 May 2002, Shawn Bayern wrote:
> I'm not sure which "Javadoc" you're referring to.  We don't have
> documentation for JSTL up in the Jakarta Taglibs format; we could do this,
> but between the spec and the examples, the coverage is already pretty
> comprehensive.  And everything is commented using standard Javadoc
> facilities; the Javadoc should in all cases be current with respect to the
> behavior of any methods and classes.

I just don't find any doc. I've seen so far, not the javadoc, not the
standard-examples, that is really, in your words. comprehensive.

For example nowhere except on this very list was I able to find out
anything about x:param.

I am quite sure you have documented this sort of thing somewhere; maybe I
am not very good at looking for it.

When I said that I wanted javadoc before, I guess I meant the "taglibs"
style doc that exists on the jakarta website for things like dbtags, e.g.
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/dbtags-doc/index.html -- this
attempts to give examples and explanations of each element, attribute,
and value usage.

I think you all are doing a super job -- I don't mean to be greedy, I just
think "more examples equals better doc".

:-)

Re: source code?

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Fri, 10 May 2002, Carole E. Mah wrote:

> Is it possible for us to get hold of your source code for any given
> tag library?
>
> Not to modify it, but just in order to understand the tag libraries
> better.
>
> Also, the doc and examples in standard-examples.war and standard-doc.war
> don't seem to bear too much resemblace to javadoc!

Yes, all of the code for JSTL is available in the Jakarta Taglibs CVS
archive, or from the Jakarta web site as nightly builds.  You can start by
clicking "source" under the http://jakarta.apache.org main page.

We (the JSTL RI team) have done our best to make sure that the RI code
uses consistent conventions.  In particular areas -- TLDs, EL support,
lifecycle-protocol correctness and explication, XML support -- I've
personally tried to make it very easy for people to use the JSTL source as
a learning tool.  It's all well-commented and Javadoc'd.

> Are people in the process of doing javadoc for the JSTL taglibs?
> Non-JSTL taglibs like DBTags have great javadoc online (this is why I
> ask, as a point of comparison).

I'm not sure which "Javadoc" you're referring to.  We don't have
documentation for JSTL up in the Jakarta Taglibs format; we could do this,
but between the spec and the examples, the coverage is already pretty
comprehensive.  And everything is commented using standard Javadoc
facilities; the Javadoc should in all cases be current with respect to the
behavior of any methods and classes.

Always feel free to let me know if you've got any specific questions about
how a feature is implemented; I'm very happy to discuss and debate
different approaches.