Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by anupamk <an...@usc.edu> on 2014/03/14 19:37:57 UTC

IOException while parsing

Hi,

I am fetching around 3000 links. I am able to fetch them successfully. But
when I try to parse them I get IOException as follows:

This is not at helpful to troubleshoot the problem.

Has anyone else run into such problem while parsing ?

I am using Nutch-1.7

I am guessing it's because nutch tries to parse a truncated mp3 file and
fails ? I am right ?

Re: IOException while parsing

Posted by anupamk <an...@usc.edu>.
I got to getting around the problem a while back ... Just wanted to update
the forum with my work-around, in case anyone else is looking for a
solution.

The Apparently memory was the root of the issue. I don't know the internals
of parse yet. I have not looked at the code, but it seems to me that the
parser tries to span threads proportional to the number of documents in the
parser's queue. Again, I m not sure if I am 100% correct or not. I am just
guessing this based on the error message in hadoop.log.

The way I got it to work was to split the segments into smaller segments and
fetch and parse each smaller segment one by one.

I split the segments using the  option.
(source: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/bin/nutch_mergesegs)

I would love to take a closer look at the parser soon and come back with a
better answer. But for now, this works and gets the job done.

Re: IOException while parsing

Posted by anupamk <an...@usc.edu>.
Hi John,

Thanks for the hint. I checked hadoop.log and upon further investigation the
only suspicious entry I found was the following warning --

Can this be the cause of the IOException ?

If so then what may the remedy be ?

Re: IOException while parsing

Posted by John Lafitte <jl...@brandextract.com>.
Hi,

That looks like the console output, but have you looked in logs/hadoop.log
?  usually you will get more detail on your error from there including a
stack trace.