Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by klavs klavsen <kl...@vsen.dk> on 2003/01/29 12:22:02 UTC

java.io.IOException - whats up?

Hi guys,

I've gotten help from John Turner on this problem of mine (where
/manager works, and /admin gives me a 404.

The error logs have this output:

> ----- Root Cause -----
> java.io.IOException: No such file or directory
>         at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
>         at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1313)
>         at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1401)
>         at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1438)
>         at
>
> I'm not familiar enough with the admin app to know what it's trying to do
> there, but obviously it wants to create a file somewhere, and can't.
> Whatever it is, its happening right here:
>
> org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldScanJar(ContextConfig.java:930)
>
> ...and the last thing it was trying to do was:
>
> 2003-01-28 17:15:56 WebappLoader[/admin]: Deploy JAR /WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar
> /opt/jakarta/tomcat/webapps/../server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar
>
> So....what's up with that directory path?  Anything?  Permissions, etc.?
> Anyone else know exactly what's going on?

the server process is run by root - and root can access the directory.

Does anyone have an idea what's up ? it's tomcat-4.1.18(binaries package) on a Gentoo Linux server.

Klavs Klavsen

--------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------
              Klavs Klavsen - Open Source Consultant
            klavs@EnableIT.dk - http://www.EnableIT.dk

    Get PGP key from www.keyserver.net - Key ID: 0x586D5BCA
Fingerprint = 2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8  B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62
Open Source Software - Sometimes you get more than you paid for.
                                                 -- unknown

SOLVED: java.io.IOException - whats up?

Posted by klavs klavsen <kl...@vsen.dk>.
On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 12:41, Jon Wingfield wrote:
> Just a thought. Have you set your CATALINA_TMPDIR environment variable?
> Its default value is $CATALINA_BASE/temp which doesn't exist by default ;)

And a VERY GOOD thought at that :)

That was the problem. Perhaps you should think about making the temp dir
as default - or atleast write in the docs (is it there - and I just
missed it?) - I know it's not in the Quick Start part - which I think it
should be.

Thank you very much everyone, for all your help.

Re: java.io.IOException - whats up?

Posted by Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.

Posted by klavs klavsen <kl...@vsen.dk>.
On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 12:34, Daniel Brown wrote:
> Klavs,
>
> From the error message, it sounds like:
>
> /opt/jakarta/tomcat/webapps/../server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar
>
> cannot be created, probably because the directory structure required isn't
> there.
>
> If you canonicalise the path, you end up with the following:
>
> /opt/jakarta/tomcat/server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar
>
> If you do an
>
> ls /opt/jakarta/tomcat/server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/lib
>
> do you get a listing, or 'No such file or directory' ?

I get output:
struts.jar

so that seems fine.

> I'm puzzled about where the 'server' path element came from - you would
> expect webapps to be in the 'tomcat' directory, not in 'tomcat/server'...

I'm new to tomcat - so I don't have a clue :)

> What does
>
> ls /opt/jakarta/tomcat/server
>
> give you?

classes  lib  webapps

Anything wrong? Please don't hesitate to ask, if you need more info, or
need me to try anything.

Posted by Daniel Brown <gm...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Klavs,

>From the error message, it sounds like:

/opt/jakarta/tomcat/webapps/../server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar

cannot be created, probably because the directory structure required isn't
there.

If you canonicalise the path, you end up with the following:

/opt/jakarta/tomcat/server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar

If you do an

ls /opt/jakarta/tomcat/server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/lib

do you get a listing, or 'No such file or directory' ?

I'm puzzled about where the 'server' path element came from - you would
expect webapps to be in the 'tomcat' directory, not in 'tomcat/server'...

What does

ls /opt/jakarta/tomcat/server

give you?

Dan.