Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2006/02/01 13:35:29 UTC

Re: 2.1 portal won't compile in jdk 1.3

Antonio Gallardo wrote

> If the code compiles for java 1.3, the later is faster than the former.

Yes, I spoke with Ate and he suggested to recompile bridges ourselves.
In addition we should file a bug for bridges so they take care og that
for the upcomming releases. I can take care of entering the bug.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: 2.1 portal won't compile in jdk 1.3

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Thanks.  Now I should be able to continue to test the fix I am working on.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez schrieb:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> BTW - I have thought of two ways to fix this. (I'd post this on
>> wsrp4j-dev, but it appears that list is moderated - I responded to the
>> subscribe but I haven't gotten a response saying I'm subscribed).
>>
>> 1.
>> super(Messages.get(errorCode));
>> try
>> {
>>    this.initCause(t);
>> }
>> catch (Exception e)
>> {
>>   // Ignore the error on JDK 1.3
>> }
>
> Not sure that'll work, as AFIACS JVMs check dependencies of the _whole_
> method code when the method is first accessed, meaning you're likely to
> have the NoSuchMethod error be raised in the caller.
>
>> 2.  Use the technique I am using to fix EncodeURLTransformer. I'm
>> adding a jdk1.4 and jdk1.3 directory under src.  The build system will
>> use the appropriate one depending on the target jvm version.
>
> 3. Use org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableException
>
> Sylvain

I'll use reflection to see if initCause(t) exists - like we do in our
NetUtils class for encoding/decoding.
The upcomming version of wsrp4j will then use commons lang.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
BTW - I have thought of two ways to fix this. (I'd post this on
wsrp4j-dev, but it appears that list is moderated - I responded to the
subscribe but I haven't gotten a response saying I'm subscribed).

1.

super(Messages.get(errorCode));
try
{
    this.initCause(t);
}
catch (Exception e)
{
   // Ignore the error on JDK 1.3
}

2.  Use the technique I am using to fix EncodeURLTransformer. I'm adding
a jdk1.4 and jdk1.3 directory under src.  The build system will use the
appropriate one depending on the target jvm version.

Ralph

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> The problem is that I'm trying to verify Cocoon for a 2.1.9 release. Do
> we drop WSRP support in the meantime?

There are a lot of things to do for the final 2.1.9 release; we
collected them
recently, but afaik they haven't been addressed yet anyway. So I guess
we have enough time to fix the wsrp issue.
But I'll try to fix the jdk 1.4 issue in the "old branch" of wsrp4j
today so we don't have to wait with our release for that.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> OK.  So I was able to compile it with the updated bridges jar.  Now it
> dies when I log in to the portal.  My guess is that WSRP4J requires
> servlet 2.3?
>
> 22:17:43.283 WARN!! Error for /samples/blocks/portal/auth?resource=portal
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
>        at
> org.apache.wsrp4j.exception.WSRPException.<init>(WSRPException.java:73)

Looking at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/portals/wsrp4j/trunk/src/org/apache/wsrp4j/exception/WSRPException.java

    public WSRPException(int errorCode, Throwable t)
    {
        //String message = Messages.get(errorCode);
 >>>     super(Messages.get(errorCode),t);
        errCode = errorCode;
        nestedThrowable = t;
    }

WSRPException uses the constructor Exception(String, Throwable) that
doesn't exist in JDK 1.3...

Sylvain

Re: 2.1 portal won't compile in jdk 1.3

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I was able to recompile the jar we use.  I will check it in this
afternoon when I get home from work.

FYI - The whole bridges project will not compile with JDK 1.3. At least
the JSF support requires JDK 1.4.

Ralph