Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Anthony E." <ap...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/15 23:39:45 UTC

preserving xslt indentation?

Is there ANY way to preserve the xslt indentation of
stylesheet templates in the output when using cocoon
1.8?

one line of output is extremely difficult to debug,
and makes it hard for 3rd parties to coherently read
the resulting xml.

I've read the usual arguments that whitespace slows
the processing time for cocoon - so it's stripped out,
but in the case of processing being done offline, time
is not of the essence...legibility of the output is
however.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

Re: preserving xslt indentation?

Posted by "Jens-A. Reinhardt" <fl...@uni-koblenz.de>.
Hi,

In case there is no Cocoon based solution just pipe
the output of Cocoon through tidy (http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/)

That's what I use for debugging purposes. Although tidy has a few
downsides.

If you use the -xml option it neatly formats your xml files, but
complains about markup that is not wellformed (e.g. about unclosed tags
like <link> <br> in html)

In html mode it accepts html specific exceptions but complains about
individual xml markup (<mynamespace:mytag> or <ATag/>)

Unfortunately that's the kind of markup I debug, so I added tidy to my
editor (nedit) to format well-formed sections with tidy -xml, or use
tidy html on the entire file if I am debugging the final output.

Jens