Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2000/12/30 04:44:35 UTC

[Fwd: failure notice]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: failure notice
Date: 29 Dec 2000 14:48:44 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@locus.apache.org
To: bloritsch@apache.org

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at locus.apache.org.

:

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 21:44:26 -0500
From: Berin Loritsch
To: cocoon-dev@apache.org
Subject: Impact of Force-Load [C2]

I want to get some feedback regarding the impact on the force-load
initial parameter.
The current functionality states that Cocoon will fail to initialize if
the required class
is not loaded.  The impact of this is that we cannot use Cocoon if the
class does not
exist.  It is logical for things like classloader bugs in WebSphere
where the failure
is that important.  But what about having one web.xml file that can work
with all
vendor's products--if the class can't be loaded it moves on.

The difference being this:
In IBM WebSphere, the Servlet Initialization will still fail because it
can't find the
cocoon.xconf file.  In Tomcat, it will log a warning saying it can't
find the class.
The error message will be misleading because the class is either
unneeded, or
the failure is an Unknown Protocol Exception.

vs. the current method:
IBM WebSphere will run because it has the specified class.  Tomcat won't
until
the entry is removed.