Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2009/08/06 12:47:09 UTC

0.6 Release Manager - C++ Volunteers

Are there any C++-ers available to act as Release Manager for our 0.6
offering please ?

Thought it'd be good to have a non-Java person doing our next one,
especially since some of the complex content is on the C++ side.

Thanks & Regards,
Marnie

RE: 0.6 Release Manager - C++ Volunteers

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
That'll teach me to properly proof read _before_ sending messages:

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 12:13 -0400, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> To be concrete:I think we should aim to solve 1. before 0.6 releases,but
> only remove the autotools build after we've solved 2.

Of course I meant the other way round! viz:

I think we should aim to solve 2. before 0.6 releases,but
only remove the autotools build after we've solved 1.

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

RE: 0.6 Release Manager - C++ Volunteers

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 10:23 -0400, Steve Huston wrote:
> > Marnie McCormack wrote:
> > > Are there any C++-ers available to act as Release Manager
> > for our 0.6
> > > offering please ?
>
> I don't have available time to manage it, but I will probably be
> involved more than usual because the Cmake transition will have an
> affect on the release process. Certainly for Windows, if not Linux.
> The Linux folks will need to give some feedback on whether or not
> they're reqady to give up autotools for the release.
>
> > > Thought it'd be good to have a non-Java person doing our next one,
> > > especially since some of the complex content is on the C++ side.
> > >
> > > Thanks & Regards,
> > > Marnie
> > >

> > That would be good, also I don't think we have heard from
> > enough people on confirming
> > the freeze date for 0.6  -- Could we get some more input on
> > freeze date of Mid Sept for 0.6
>
> That's probably ok, feature wise, and should include the refactored
> message store plugin, at least for Windows. I'm sure there will be
> release fixing going on after that.

At this point there are 2 big holes in the Unix cmake build:

1. Testing is not nearly as comprehensive as autotools build.
-  Doesn't use valgrind if present.
-  Missing tests (eg. cluster tests)

2. Install target is missing most of the things that are present in the
autotools version.

2. is a blocker to switching, in that we can't produce a release without
a correct install target. But it is a fairly straightforward task, just
requiring someone (me?) to find time to sort out the install target.

1. Isn't exactly a blocker to producing a release, but will negatively
impact our ongoing dev process. To be honest our testing isn't exactly
sufficient in the autotools build, so to decrease even that level of
testing isn't a good plan.

For these reasons I don't think we should be switching off the autotools
build just yet. However I think we should make an aim in this time frame
to be able to produce the c++ release from the cmake build.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
> Marnie McCormack wrote:
> > Are there any C++-ers available to act as Release Manager
> for our 0.6
> > offering please ?

I don't have available time to manage it, but I will probably be
involved more than usual because the Cmake transition will have an
affect on the release process. Certainly for Windows, if not Linux.
The Linux folks will need to give some feedback on whether or not
they're reqady to give up autotools for the release.

> > Thought it'd be good to have a non-Java person doing our next one,
> > especially since some of the complex content is on the C++ side.
> >
> > Thanks & Regards,
> > Marnie
> >

> That would be good, also I don't think we have heard from
> enough people on confirming
> the freeze date for 0.6  -- Could we get some more input on
> freeze date of Mid Sept for 0.6

That's probably ok, feature wise, and should include the refactored
message store plugin, at least for Windows. I'm sure there will be
release fixing going on after that.

-Steve

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Marnie McCormack wrote:
> Are there any C++-ers available to act as Release Manager for our 0.6
> offering please ?
>
> Thought it'd be good to have a non-Java person doing our next one,
> especially since some of the complex content is on the C++ side.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Marnie

That would be good, also I don't think we have heard from enough people
on confirming
the freeze date for 0.6  -- Could we get some more input on freeze date
of Mid Sept for
0.6

regards,
Carl.