Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Zakee <kz...@netzero.net> on 2015/02/19 01:13:19 UTC

Broker w/ high memory due to index file sizes

I am running a cluster of 5 brokers with 40G ms/mx for each. I found one of
the brokers is constantly using above ~90% of memory for jvm.heapUsage. I
checked from lsof output that the size of the index files for this broker
is too large.

Not sure what is going on with this one broker in the cluster? Why would
the index file sizes be so hugely different on one broker? Any ideas?

Regards
Zakee
Invest with the Trend
Exclusive Breakout Alert On Soaring Social Media Technology
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/54e52a9fe121d2a9f4a27st01vuc

Re: Broker w/ high memory due to index file sizes

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'd start small and grow if needed.... in general.  There is one bit of
info missing here.  Did you try with a smaller heap and had issues?  If so,
which issues?  A few references from our internal Wiki:

   - XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps
   -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime
   -Xloggc:/var/log/gc/gc.log-$$-$(hostname)-$(date +'%Y%m%d%H%M').log
   - https://github.com/chewiebug/GCViewer
   - Good general JVM info:
   http://blog.asquareb.com/blog/2014/12/13/jvm-gc-settings-and-hbase/
   - Good general JVM info:
   https://blog.codecentric.de/en/2012/08/useful-jvm-flags-part-5-young-generation-garbage-collection/

   - Lower Xmx to <32GB heap because of pointer compression.
   https://blog.codecentric.de/en/2014/02/35gb-heap-less-32gb-java-jvm-memory-oddities/

Otis

Posted by Zakee <kz...@netzero.net>.
Thanks, Ewen. I will try these.