Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org> on 2020/08/10 19:13:42 UTC

Apache Ignite Board report, August, 2020

Dear Apache Ignite community,

PMC should submit the board report, not later than 12 August.

Previous board with drafted publicly with sharing with all developers
community. Let us try it one more time. Please share your thoughts on what
might be added to the board meeting agenda.

The mission of Ignite is the creation and maintenance of software related
High-performance, integrated and distributed in-memory platform for
computing
and transacting on large-scale data sets in real-time

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention. (hopefully)

## Membership Data:
Apache Ignite was founded 2015-08-19 (5 years ago)
There are currently 53 committers and 34 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:5.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Maxim Muzafarov on 2020-04-28.
- Artem Budnikov was added as committer on 2020-07-14
- Sergey Chugunov was added as committer on 2020-06-12

## Project Activity:
Apache Ignite community is working on preparing release 2.9.0.
Release 3.0 discussion has been resurrected.
Project documentation migration from readme.io to the code started.

## Community Health:
There is a decrease in mailing list traffic comparing to the previous
quarter (-10-20%). Activity related to code commits remains stable.
The first committer was elected because of merit related to the non-code
contribution, but efforts in the documentation.
Apache Ignite users, developers, and PMC members continued to give talks
related to the product in C-19 situation mostly online. See also
https://ignite.apache.org/events.html

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Re: Apache Ignite Board report, August, 2020

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.
Hi Saikat, thank you, it definitely makes sense to add.

So, the following version has been filed to the board meeting agenda.

Apache Ignite® is a horizontally scalable, fault-tolerant distributed
in-memory computing platform for building real-time applications that can
process terabytes of data with in-memory speed

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Ignite was founded 2015-08-19 (5 years ago)
There are currently 53 committers and 34 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:5.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Maxim Muzafarov on 2020-04-28.
- Artem Budnikov was added as committer on 2020-07-14
- Sergey Chugunov was added as committer on 2020-06-12

## Project Activity:
- Apache Ignite community is working on preparing release 2.9
- Release 3.0 discussion has been started again.
- Ignite Extensions project that decouples the core features from
   3rd-party integrations is moving forward rapidly
   https://samaitra.blogspot.com/2020/08/apache-ignite-extensions.html
- New features will be available at 2.9: Persistence cache snapshot,
   Tracing, Java Thin Client cluster discovery & compute
- Ignite documentation is being migrated from the readme.io to the
   Ignite codebase. The first version is planned to be released with Ignite
   2.9 release.

## Community Health:
- There is a decrease in mailing list traffic comparing to the previous
   quarter (-10-20%). Activity related to commits count remains stable.
- Apache Ignite users, developers, and PMC members continued to give
   talks related to the product in the C-19 situation mostly online.
   See also https://ignite.apache.org/events.html
- Community members started the Virtual Apache Ignite Meetup
   https://www.meetup.com/Apache-Ignite-Virtual-Meetup/ group that is
   envisioned as a place to meet and discuss Ignite best practices,
internals,
   use cases, share experiences.
- There is a dedicated track for Apache Ignite available at APACHECON 2020
   @Home on September 29th. https://apachecon.com/acah2020/tracks/

Thanks for feedback,

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov