Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Adam Sampson <mi...@mirrorservice.org> on 2004/09/22 15:54:32 UTC

Apache mirror at the UK Mirror Service

Hi,

I'm from the UK Mirror Service. We've had an Apache mirror for a while
(we ran mirror.ac.uk from 1999 until 2004 -- that domain name's now used
by the new JISC National Mirror Service, and we've moved to
mirrorservice.org), but we're not currently listed on the Apache mirror
list. Here's the requested information:

URLs of mirror:
  http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.apache.org/
  ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.apache.org/
  rsync://rsync.mirrorservice.org/ftp.apache.org/

Country where the mirror is located:
  the UK

Contact email address:
  mirror@mirrorservice.org

Update frequency:
  daily (we could do six-hourly if you'd prefer)

Rsync repository used:
  rsync.eu.apache.org

Approximate bandwidth:
  155Mbps (going up to 1Gbps in the near future)

I have followed the recommended configuration for my mirror:
  partly (we've got a custom web interface that lets users browse inside
  archives, rather than using the stock Apache directory listings)

Adam Sampson                                         <http://offog.org/>
The UK Mirror Service                    <http://www.mirrorservice.org/>

Re: Apache mirror at the UK Mirror Service

Posted by Adam Sampson <mi...@mirrorservice.org>.
On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 07:09:49PM +0200, Erik Abele wrote:
> Btw, you also indicated that you could update your mirror every six
> hours instead of only once per day. We'd actually prefer that ;)

No problem -- I've made the change.

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 23.09.2004, at 23:36, Adam Sampson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:32:53PM +0200, Erik Abele wrote:
>> Um, we still have http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/ftp.apache.org/ and
>> ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.apache.org/
>
> Yes, but those don't point to us any more. mirror.ac.uk's now being run
> by a different organisation, who also have an Apache mirror; you'll
> probably want to list both.

Ah, my fault, I misunderstood your first message. I read it as the new
ones should replace the old ones instead of being added...

>> Looks basically good but I'd be happier if the interface would display
>> the README/HEADER files instead of only pointing at them.
> [plus more broken stuff]
>
> OK -- I've updated our configuration so that it's using your preferred
> options now (and disabled our archive browser for that mirror). Does
> <http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.apache.org/> look all right to
> you?

Looks great now and I've added it to our list, thanks for your
contribution!

Btw, you also indicated that you could update your mirror every six
hours instead of only once per day. We'd actually prefer that ;) Thanks
again.

Cheers,
Erik

Posted by Adam Sampson <at...@mirrorservice.org>.

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 22.09.2004, at 15:54, Adam Sampson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm from the UK Mirror Service. We've had an Apache mirror for a while
> (we ran mirror.ac.uk from 1999 until 2004 -- that domain name's now
> used
> by the new JISC National Mirror Service, and we've moved to
> mirrorservice.org), but we're not currently listed on the Apache mirror
> list.

Um, we still have http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/ftp.apache.org/ and
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.apache.org/, see
http://www.apache.org/mirrors/.

> Here's the requested information:
>
> URLs of mirror:
>   http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.apache.org/
>   ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.apache.org/
>   rsync://rsync.mirrorservice.org/ftp.apache.org/

> I have followed the recommended configuration for my mirror:
>   partly (we've got a custom web interface that lets users browse
> inside
>   archives, rather than using the stock Apache directory listings)

Looks basically good but I'd be happier if the interface would display
the README/HEADER files instead of only pointing at them.

Another consequence of this configuration is that other relevant
customizations carried in the .htaccess files are simply missing, for
example the AddType directive in /httpd/binaries/win32/.htaccess: it's
needed to get the correct content-type for some of the files, e.g.
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.apache.org/httpd/binaries/win32/
apache_1.3.29-win32-x86-src.msi

Cheers,
Erik