Posted to dev@heron.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2019/04/01 18:55:30 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.1-incubating (Release Candidate 2)

-1 - we need to carefully discuss this on dev@heron.

I seem to be the only Heron Mentor paying attention. We need more than me!

(1) I cannot really follow this email
(2) We still need to discuss the docker hub image. (I suggest that this be unofficial for this round.)
(3) The binaries on repository.apache.org <http://repository.apache.org/> are not on dist.apache.org <http://dist.apache.org/>.

Apologies, let’s rewind what is included for this release. It needs to be discussed on dev@ in advance.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Jenkins & Binaries - Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.1-incubating (Release Candidate 2)

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Ok. Sounds reasonable.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Got it. Thanks.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
*Inline.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 11:36 AM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> See inline:

> >> one?
> >>
> >> That one is created and managed by this project, and as such it remains
> an
> >> unofficial location - we’ll need to be careful how it is advertised.
> >>
> >> The official Apache Docker Hub is https://hub.docker.com/u/apache <
> >> https://hub.docker.com/u/apache>
> >>
> >> https://reference.apache.org/pmc/docker <
> >> https://reference.apache.org/pmc/docker> for an example.
> >>
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270 <
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270> for a discussion.
> >>
> >> Let’s discuss via how the apacheheron docker file is produced.
> >>

> > Ok. Another permission to request.
> >
> > The docker image is built with this jenkins job:
> > https://builds.apache.org/job/apache-heron-github-docker-image-debian/
> >
> > I then downloaded it and load/publish.
>
> OK, I see this and I see several build jobs.
>
> And wow - that’s a 1GB archive!
>
> Yeah. It is 1G~ With --squash flag it is smaller (500m to 600m), but the
flag is not available in Apache Jenkins machines.

> I wonder how much of these Jenkins scripts should be in Jenkins as opposed
> to all in the Git repository and then invoked as 1-3 scripts from Jenkins
> w/ environment variable pick up. This would ultimately benefit those who
> are trying to understand how to build Heron and what artifacts are brought
> into the binary.

Agreed. The scripts could be refactored/simplifed further.

> We must do a careful license review of everything included in a Binary.
> If some of the binary artifacts going to the maven repository are much
> smaller then we should discuss these separately.
>
> Until then just make Source releases.

So it means docker images and those convenience binary packages are not
allowed on github and dockerhub?

So the action items for the binary packages are:
1. remove them from github, resume the 0.20.1 rc2 vote with updated info.
2. optimize the binary package sizes.
3. request permission to uploaded them to Apache dist repo.
4. license review

> BTW - The apacheheron Docker Hub still appears to be from the project and
> Apache and that means it is not allowed unless it can be VOTED on.

My understanding is:
- remove the docker image from apacheheron
- wait for the works on the binary packages are done.
- build and publish to apache docker hub.

> Please see the VP, Legal and VP, Brand comments on
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-427
>
> (This is a better and more direct answer than on
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270 )
>

> Does this make sense?

Yeah. Thanks.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

See inline:

>>> For docker hub image, I published it to
>>> *https://hub.docker.com/r/apacheheron/heron/tags
>>> <https://hub.docker.com/r/apacheheron/heron/tags>. It is not the right
>> one?
>>> I got an invite after becoming a committer then I thought this is the
>>> official one. But maybe it isn't?*
>>
>> That one is created and managed by this project, and as such it remains an
>> unofficial location - we’ll need to be careful how it is advertised.
>>
>> The official Apache Docker Hub is https://hub.docker.com/u/apache <
>> https://hub.docker.com/u/apache>
>>
>> https://reference.apache.org/pmc/docker <
>> https://reference.apache.org/pmc/docker> for an example.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270 <
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270> for a discussion.
>>
>> Let’s discuss via how the apacheheron docker file is produced.
>>

> Ok. Another permission to request.
>
> The docker image is built with this jenkins job:
> https://builds.apache.org/job/apache-heron-github-docker-image-debian/
>
> I then downloaded it and load/publish.

OK, I see this and I see several build jobs.

And wow - that’s a 1GB archive!

I wonder how much of these Jenkins scripts should be in Jenkins as opposed to all in the Git repository and then invoked as 1-3 scripts from Jenkins w/ environment variable pick up. This would ultimately benefit those who are trying to understand how to build Heron and what artifacts are brought into the binary.

We must do a careful license review of everything included in a Binary.  If some of the binary artifacts going to the maven repository are much smaller then we should discuss these separately.

Until then just make Source releases.

BTW - The apacheheron Docker Hub still appears to be from the project and Apache and that means it is not allowed unless it can be VOTED on.

Please see the VP, Legal and VP, Brand comments on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-427

(This is a better and more direct answer than on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270 )

Does this make sense?

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 2:51 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> > On Apr 1, 2019, at 2:23 PM, Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > For the 0.20.1-incubating-rc2 release:
> >
> > So we should require more buy-ins from mentors for the release before
> > moving to general@ mailing list? Maybe let's have a rule like minimal
> two
> > Mentors? Sounds good to me but let's make a decision.
>
> Ideally we should have 3 binding VOTEs from Mentors and then we don’t have
> to go to the IPMC unless we want additional review.
>
> If we can’t get that from the current Mentors then on the podling report
> we say so and we also look for mentors who will VOTE.

Ah. This is quite different from what I thought.... :)  Thanks.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

The official Apache Docker Hub is https://hub.docker.com/u/apache <https://hub.docker.com/u/apache>

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Cancelled] [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.1-incubating (Release Candidate 2)

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Let's cancel this vote for now and go back to dev mailing list to discuss
more.

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Ok. Thanks!