Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by pragmaticjdev <am...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/11 12:09:23 UTC

Using ActiveMQ For Distributed Replicated Cache

We plan to use activemq to build a replicated cache in our distributed system
consisting of multiple java applications. In this deployment, an update to
any of the objects being cached in the jvm memory of the app server acts as
a producer which pushes the pojo to the jms topic. All other app servers
subscribe to it and update the object that is cached by them. Here's a quick
deployment screenshot with 2 app servers. In production we would have a
maximum of 5-7 such app servers.

<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/t378744/ActiveMQ_Oracle.png>

I would like to get suggestions on below queries
	1. Given this is a real time use case (caching) we would want any updates
to be replicated to all other app servers as soon as possible. What broker
configurations should we consider to make sure that the messages are
delivered in real time in all possible flows?
	2. Would it be good to maintain a continuous connection with the activemq
server on each app server in order to invalidate the cache in case the app
server fails to connect to activemq? If so, how could it be implemented?
	3. How do we handle failure scenarios when the producer fails to push an
object to the topic (in which case we might have to rollback the database
transaction) or the consumer fails to receive the java object?

Looking forward for some insights.

Thanks.

Re: Using ActiveMQ For Distributed Replicated Cache

Posted by pragmaticjdev <am...@gmail.com>.
Any thoughts on how to control the polling interval and other queries
mentioned below?

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 8:10 AM, pragmaticjdev <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is some misunderstanding that I created. We don't plan to use
> activemq to populate the cache. We build the cache on cache misses. Here's
> how the overall flow looks like. Note there are multiple jvm's involved, I
> have just pictured one for simplicity.

Do you truly mean that you don't plan to use ActiveMQ to build the cache?
Or are you just saying that you attempt to build the cache via ActiveMQ
because it's more efficient but that guaranteed delivery isn't required,
because if ActiveMQ misses a message, the cache-miss logic will fill in
whatever gaps might occur? If you're truly not using ActiveMQ to build the
cache, what are you using it for?

> I didn't completely follow your response to the durability question.
> Probably this diagram helps me to explain how the cache behaves in read and
> write operations. Please let me know if you still see problems with
> @JmsListener(DefaultMessageListenerContainer) and non-durabilty.
>
> <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/t378744/ActiveMQ_Oracle.png>
>
> Thanks.

All I meant was that for a non-durable topic subscription, the Spring
JmsTemplate code will disconnect between messages, which results in the
subscription being removed and then re-created the next time the code
connects. If a message is sent when the subscription doesn't exist, the
message will not be delivered when the consumer next creates the
connection, because the subscription did not exist at the time the message
was sent. This is standard topic behavior, but users often don't expect the
JmsTemplate to remove the subscription between calls so it trips up some
users. If you can accept a non-trivial percentage of your updates not
making it into the cache and being filled via cache misses that query the
database, this isn't a problem, but since you've described updating objects
(which will return a stale object from the cache instead of resulting in a
cache miss) you might not be able to live with this behavior. If you can't,
you'll want to use a durable subscription, and you'll need to ensure that
if your consumer disappears for a significant amount of time, your broker
is configured to discard the messages or the subscription (or both).

Tim

Re: Using ActiveMQ For Distributed Replicated Cache

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
On Wed, May 2, 2018, 12:02 AM pragmaticjdev <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Tim for your valuable comments.
>
> 1.
>
> > so you're using message-driven code rather than managing the connection
> > yourself. In that case you'd want to do the following to handle the
> error
> > (by clearing the cache):
> >
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40654586/spring-jms-set-errorhandler-for-jmslistener-annotated-method
>
> On your suggestion of registering an ErrorHandler, I wanted to confirm my
> understand - Does the subscriber underneath continuously poll activemq and
> failure in doing so gets the ErrorHandler implementation invoked?

That's my understanding, though I'm not an expert on the Spring code. If
you have more detailed questions about the Spring JMS library specifically,
you might want to either take a look at its source code or post a question
on the Spring forum or on StackOverflow.

2.

> Tim Bain wrote
> > @JmsListener is typically used with a
> > DefaultMessageListenerContainer, which interacts poorly with topics if
> the
> > subscription is non-durable
>
> Are you suggesting we enable durability? Is there an alternative? I ask
> because theoretically we don't need durability of the messages. If the
> subscriber is down when the message is published to the queue, it is
> perfectly ok as the cache is designed to build as requests are received. We
> go to the RDBMS store on a cache miss and the subsequent requests then are
> handled by the cache.

A non-durable subscription may increase the likelihood of those cache
misses, but as long as that's acceptable, it's probably better than using a
durable subscription where you would have to configure a mechanism for
dropping the subscription (and the built-up backlog of unconsumed messages)
after some timeout.

Out of curiosity, why use ActiveMQ to populate your cache at all, rather
than just populating it on each cache miss (which is simpler)? I'm not
saying there aren't valid reasons for doing what you're proposing, but I'm
curious what your reasons are for deciding that this is worth the extra
complication.

Tim

Re: Using ActiveMQ For Distributed Replicated Cache

Posted by pragmaticjdev <am...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tim for your valuable comments.

1.

> so you're using message-driven code rather than managing the connection
> yourself. In that case you'd want to do the following to handle the error
> (by clearing the cache):
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40654586/spring-jms-set-errorhandler-for-jmslistener-annotated-method

On your suggestion of registering an ErrorHandler, I wanted to confirm my
understand - Does the subscriber underneath continuously poll activemq and a

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Oh, one other thing. @JmsListener is typically used with a
DefaultMessageListenerContainer, which interacts poorly with topics if the
subscription is non-durable because the DMLC typically disconnects and
reconnects for every message, allowing messages to be "lost" for
non-durable subscriptions. See
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42300953/jmslistener-issue-with-durable-subscription
for some information about how to make your subscription durable. But make
sure you have a plan for what happens when consumers shut down and never
return (e.g. because you permanently remove a host), since durable
subscriptions without a consumer will accumulate messages forever.

Tim

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:48 PM, pragmaticjdev <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Highly appreciate the detailed replies and the clarifications on
> distributed
> cache vs database.
> We are trying to build a distributed cache. I agree to all the inputs you
> shared for such a cache implementation. In summary it would mean
>         1. Subscriber should clear the cache when it cannot connect to the
> broker
>         2. Publisher should not rollback the database transaction on
> failures as
> step #1 would be sufficient & the cache is loaded as and when queried

OK, if you're building a cache rather than a database, what serves as the
record copy of the data, from which the cache can be queried on demand?
Would you just query your OLTP database whenever you have a cache miss?

Also, my earlier responses weren't considering the possibility that you'd
be updating objects within the cache. In that case, I agree that clearing
the cache on disconnection/error is the right way to go. Sorry if that
caused any confusion.

> A couple of follow up questions
> 1.
>
> > Typically you would call it in a tight loop, so you're only as stale as
> > the amount of time it takes you to publish the messages received the last
> > time.
>

> How can one control the polling time of the consumer? My jms consumer code
> from our spring application looks like this
>
> @Component
> public class Consumer {
>
>           @JmsListener(destination = "java-topic", containerFactory =
> "topicListenerFactory")
>         public void receiveTopicMessage(@Payload Person person) throws
> JMSException
> {
>             //update the local cache entry
>            }
> }
>
> How do I change the above code to call it in a tight loop?

Ah, so you're using message-driven code rather than managing the connection

Posted by pragmaticjdev <am...@gmail.com>.
Highly appreciate the detailed replies and the clarifications on distributed
cache vs database.
We are trying to build a distributed cache. I agree to all the inputs you
shared for such a cache implementation. In summary it would mean
	1. Subscriber should clear the cache when it cannot connect to the broker
	2. Publisher should not rollback the database transaction on failures as
step #1 would be sufficient & the cache is loaded as and when queried

A couple of follow up questions
1.

> Typically you would call it in a tight loop, so you're only as stale as
> the amount of time it takes you to publish the messages received the last
> time.

How can one control the polling time of the consumer? My jms consumer code
from our spring application looks like this

@Component
public class Consumer {

          @JmsListener(destination = "java-topic", containerFactory =
"topicListenerFactory")
	public void receiveTopicMessage(@Payload Person person) throws JMSException
{
	    //update the local cache entry
           }
}

How do I change the above code to call it in a tight loop? Also would that
mean one or more threads would be constantly busy leading to constant usage
of CPU cycles?

2.
For my question on overloaded subscriber I didn't completely follow your
suggestion for not being worried about this scenario. You mentioned

>  If you're going with a distributed cache, then don't worry about
> this, because you'll handle it with queries to the truth store when you
> have cache misses (at the cost of slower performance).

Assume there are two app servers with an object loaded in the local cache.
An update to this object occurs on app server 1 which publishes that object
on the jms queue. Here if app server 2 is overloaded (busy CPU), the jms
consumer thread might not get a chance to execute at that instance in time.
What happens in such cases, does activemq retry after some time? Can the

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@gmail.com>.
I think you need to figure out whether you're trying to build a distributed
cache or a distributed database, because right now you seem to be trying to
build something halfway between the two and it's leading to an inconsistent
set of requirements.

If you're trying to build a distributed cache, then you can populate the
cache from a truth store (e.g. a RDBMS) whenever there is a cache miss.
This implies that it's perfectly safe to clear the cache when you can't
talk to the ActiveMQ broker, and that it's fine to bring up a new node
(either to scale up or to replace one that fails) because it has a way to
restore its cache and get in sync with the rest of the nodes. In this case,
you'd not want to rollback the transaction in the case of failure to
publish to the ActiveMQ broker, because the cache in each node would simply
be filled by a query on a cache miss. And you would only need to clear the
cache when you encounter broker connection problems if your data contains
updates or deletions to existing records; it it's a stream of new records,
then what's in the cache is fine to keep, and you can fill it up with the
records you don't get via ActiveMQ by querying the truth store when you
encounter cache misses.

If on the other hand your trying to build a distributed database, then you
do need to perform a rollback when you fail to publish, but you also need a
way to populate a node when it starts (empty). And if you're going to clear
the local copy of the database, then you're going to lose all your data
whenever all nodes simultaneously lose their connection to the broker, so
you probably don't want to do that. Instead you'd want to keep all records,
and then have a mechanism for nodes synchronizing between themselves when
connectivity is restored; this would also handle the new-node problem. And
if this is what you're looking for, please stop calling it a cache.

There's a lot more complexity in the second case than in the first, and my
strong recommendation is to do the first (only a cache, with a backing
database). I know that you think that fewer deployed components makes a
simpler solution, but I think that simpler/less code, with less development
effort and less risk of bugs, is actually the simpler solution even if it
requires an additional component (an RDBMS). And if you already have an
RDBMS in your architecture (otherwise, how are you rolling back your
transaction when you fail to publish to ActiveMQ?), then the distributed
cache really is simpler than the distributed database.

Additional responses are inline.

Tim

On Apr 19, 2018 8:00 AM, "pragmaticjdev" <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you use the TCP transport, it will stay connected continuously, and
> then
> disconnect if the broker goes down. If that happens, I believe an
> exception
> will be thrown the next time your code polls for new messages.

If the exception gets thrown only when the subscriber polls then the cache
could be stale. Is there something that notifies (through an exception?)
when the broker goes down?

Typically you would call it in a tight loop, so you're only as stale as the
amount of time it takes you to publish the messages received the last time.

> In general, the terms "atomic" and "distributed" are contradictory in
most
> situations. If the OP is using this as a cache (i.e. a place to hold the
> results of operations that you would otherwise be able to compute on
> demand, as a performance optimization), he will be fine, and atomicity
> doesn't matter. If on the other hand the OP requires that the "cache"
stay
> fully in sync and it's not possible to compute the value in the case of a
> cache miss, then that's a database not a cache.

Our application has a OLTP use case. The objects that we want to cache are
metadata objects of the application. They don't change frequently after the
initial configuration. Hence the thought of having a replicated cache. I

came across  this discussion
<
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/How-to-ensure-reliability-of-publish-subscribe-against-occassional-network-hiccup-td2354084.html>

from the old threads which looked exactly similar to what I am trying to
do.
I can sequence the writes such that we first write to the database (RDBMS)
and then publish it on JMS. If that fails we can rollback the database
transaction. We look good on the publisher side.
We can even guarantee that the subscribers receive the copy with
CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE (activemq would retry till everyone reads the copy) but
the two situations are something that I cannot find an answer to

1. How should our application handle a failure flow in which the publisher
pushes a message on the topic successfully but activemq goes down before
sending that message to any of the subscribers (assuming non-durable
subscribers)? Is there a way the subscribers could know that activemq is
down? If so, we could invalidate the whole cache.

See my answer above.

2. Given these cache updates need to be published & subscribed in real time,
what special handling should we do in cases the subscriber is busy
(overloaded) and unable to read the message from the topic?

If you're going with a distributed database, there's only one answer here:
ensure that this doesn't happen. Make the insertion of a record dead simple
to minimize the work done on that thread, make sure the process is hosted
on a machine with more than enough processing power, even raise the
priority of the ActiveMQ consumer thread to ensure that a glut of "real"
work doesn't starve the consumer.

Posted by pragmaticjdev <am...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies.

Below are my comments on the discussed topics

> Have you considered using an actual standalone caching product such as
> Redis or MemCache as your cache rather than trying to create your own
> synchronized distributed in-memory cache?

That was the first thought but since we are trying to build a cache with
activemq mainly because
1. We need this caching capability only for a couple of features in our
application out of say 30 features it has. Adding another component in the
architecture just for this doesn't sound worthwhile from an operations
perspective
2. We already have activemq in our architecture hence we wanted to use if we
can reuse that aspect.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I wouldn't say it's atomic, it just shifts around some of the error cases
(you risk reading uncommitted writes that might be rolled back, instead of
risking having a cache miss when a value should exist).

In general, the terms "atomic" and "distributed" are contradictory in most
situations. If the OP is using this as a cache (i.e. a place to hold the
results of operations that you would otherwise be able to compute on
demand, as a performance optimization), he will be fine, and atomicity
doesn't matter. If on the other hand the OP requires that the "cache" stay
fully in sync and it's not possible to compute the value in the case of a
cache miss, then that's a database not a cache.

On reflection, I believe that the OP is looking for a database here, and
that using a SQL-based database that supports XA transactions might allow
him to support committing or rolling back the real-work transaction if the
write to the "cache" database fails. So I retract my earlier suggestion to
use a standalone cache, and instead I recommend using a standalone RDBMS
that supports XA transactions.

Tim

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com>.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.