Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Jason <sn...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/04 07:06:37 UTC

Config for Tika Windows Service with Apache Commons Daemon

I'm trying to get Tika JAXRS running as a Windows Service using Apache
Commons Daemon.

I've got tika-server-1.7.jar from http://tika.apache.org/download.html

I've downloaded v1.0.15 of the Windows binaries for Apache Commons Daemon
from http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon/binaries.html

I can get Tika started as a service, but I can't determine what to use for
a stop method.

prunsrv.exe //IS//tika-daemon --DisplayName "Tika Daemon" --Classpath
"C:\Tika Service\tika-server-1.7.jar" --StartClass
"org.apache.tika.server.TikaServerCli" --StopClass
"org.apache.tika.server.TikaServerCli" --StartMethod main --StopMethod main
--Description "Tika Daemon Windows Service" --StartMode java --StopMode java

This starts, and works as I'd hope, but when trying to stop the service it
doesn't respond. Obviously
org.apache.tika.server.TikaServerCli.main(string[] args) isn't a suitable
stop method, but I'm lost for alternatives.

I'd also welcome any alternative methods for getting Tika running as a
Windows Service, or otherwise auto-starting outside of an interactive
session.

RE: Config for Tika Windows Service with Apache Commons Daemon

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Somewhere on my todo list is to add the ability to stop tika-server on the commandline.   I probably won't get to this for a few months, though.

I agree with Nick's recommendation to contribute to the war, if at all possible.

> I can get Tika started as a service, but I can't determine what to use for
> a stop method.

There isn't really a stop method. As it stands, the Tika Server runs in a
single process, started from the main method. To close it down, send it
control+c or a kill signal

> prunsrv.exe //IS//tika-daemon --DisplayName "Tika Daemon" --Classpath
> "C:\Tika Service\tika-server-1.7.jar" --StartClass
> "org.apache.tika.server.TikaServerCli" --StopClass
> "org.apache.tika.server.TikaServerCli" --StartMethod main --StopMethod main
> --Description "Tika Daemon Windows Service" --StartMode java --StopMode java

At first glance, that looks like the settings for starting and stopping a
service which forks into the background, which isn't quite what you need
for the Tika Server.

Maybe the fix is for you to help with the "war" mode for Tika (TIKA-894),
then deploy that the normal way for Tomcat or Jetty?

Nick

Re: Config for Tika Windows Service with Apache Commons Daemon

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Jason, this sounds awesome.

Sorry it’s taken so long to reply. I don’t think we have a stop
function available in the server. Can you file a ticket here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA

And then request that we add one? I’ll try and whip up a quick patch
for this..

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.