Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/13 14:51:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Cut Pulsar 2.9.0 release

Hello community,
If I understand correctly the 2.9.0 release is due to the end of September.

Open tickets assigned to 2.9.0 milestone (120?)
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/milestone/30

540 closed tickets for 2.9.0:
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/milestone/30?closed=1

It is a major release and as usual we added great features and enhancements
!

I would like to volunteer as Release Manager and coordinate the release.

Please share any thoughts about cutting this release by the end of September

Please take time to review and follow up on any pull request that you
started
to review and help contributors to get their patch merge.

There are a few PIPs that have been partially merged, this is not a big
problem
as far as we have not introduced incomplete features.

Best regards
Enrico Olivelli

Re: [DISCUSS] Cut Pulsar 2.9.0 release

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
I am going to check all issues and pull requests that people targeted to
2.9.0 milestone.

If you are a *reviewer* and you started a review and the PR is waiting for
you, please take some time to help
the contributor see the patch merged.

There are a few pending PIPs, I see two categories:
- PIP that are still *under discussion* won't make it to 2.9.0
- PIP that are *partially committed* to master branch: please try to
complete the work or at least ensure that the part you committed is stable
and it can be released without any impact on clients, especially regarding
compatibility

There are a few important bug fixes  that need review, I believe we should
give more priority to them, this way we can deliver a great 2.9.0 to our
users.

Please let me know if there is something that is missing in the release.
I will take care of scanning the list of tickets and remove the "milestone"
if I am sure that the patch cannot make it to 2.9.0.

We are an open source project, and quality has higher priority over adding
features,
there is no need to hurry in committing patches, if something cannot make
it for this release we can release it for 2.9.1 (or for 2.10.0 if it is a
major change).

It is better to enforce the planning instead of delaying the release.

Best regards
Enrico

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.
+1