Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hisham <om...@yahoo.com> on 2014/04/29 20:59:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.2.26

Hi all,

I am trying to download and install apache 2.2.26 on my RHEL 5 OS. I was informed that the latest version supported on this OS is 2.2.3! Can anyone confirm and how do i check if 2.2.26 will still work

Thanks
Alex

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [users@httpd] Question: Can I install Apache 2.2.26 on Redhat linux 5?

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.
As a general rule you can install any version of Apache on any version of
Linux.  The question is how much work you are willing to do!

In the case of RHEL5, Red Hat is no longer supporting it so they don't keep
the repository up to date.  Maybe the last version you can pull with yum or
up2date is 2.2.3.

So, you have to go to the Apache downloads and get the current version and
then configure and make it yourself.  As a suggestion, put your new version
on its own directory so it doesn't overlay the version that is already
there and in use.  When you have tested the new version, just change the
init.d file for httpd and point to the new path.

As a comment, be careful of the httpd.conf files - they change with time so
don't start a new version of Apache with your existing conf file without
checking.

Good luck!

John

Posted by Hisham <om...@yahoo.com>.