Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2016/06/21 19:30:43 UTC

[VOTE] New component: Standard math functions

Hello.

This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.

This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
   Standard mathematical functions (either missing from
"java.lang.Math",
   or faster or more accurate than their counterpart in the JDK) and
   floating point utilities.

The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and
packages:
   org.apache.commons.math4.Field
   org.apache.commons.math4.FieldElement
   org.apache.commons.math4.RealFieldElement
   org.apache.commons.math4.util.FastMath (and helper classes)
   org.apache.commons.math4.util.Precision
   org.apache.commons.math4.util.MathUtils
   org.apache.commons.math4.util.ArithmeticUtils
   org.apache.commons.math4.util.Combinations
   org.apache.commons.math4.util.CombinatoricsUtils
   org.apache.commons.math4.util.ContinuedFraction
   org.apache.commons.math4.dfp
   org.apache.commons.math4.special
located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:

https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/util;h=c54f99f943f758e43ebeb54d8771a6ef6516d283;hb=refs/heads/develop

https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/special;h=b8fb8b1f6e29a549d0716c866939e074525246a1;hb=refs/heads/develop

Notes:
  * This component will have no dependency.
  * Code size: ~13000 lines of code (unit tests not included).
    [Out of which ~6000 lines are literal numbers defined in
    class "FastMathLiteralArrays".]
  * API: stable.  [But some of it should probably be moved into
    an "internal" package.]
  * Estimated minimum Java version: 5

All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user
support,
bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.

[ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
[ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [VOTE] New component: Standard math functions

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 10:45:33 +0000, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> +/- 0 I'm unsure.
>
> We already have some Math code in Commons Lang. Maybe this code would
> fit
> into o.a.c.lang3.math ?

In principle, yes, but I'd be wary of a big codebase that becomes less
and less focused.

I think that whatever is a enhancement/extension/generalization of some
JDK functionality is worth a component.

By your line of reasoning, shouldn't "crypto" have been included in as
"o.a.c.lang3.crypto"?

In the "math" case, we enhance tools from "java.lang.Math" (drop-in
remplacement with higher accuracy was the purpose of "FastMath"), then
generalize to unlimited precision ("dfp") and extend with common
(really!)
functions not available[1] in the JDK (combinations, factorial log,
error
functions).

As said, this is all *stable* API (after the necessary adaptation to a
new component) which the Commons PMC would be totally justified to
enforce.

And the main architect and maintainer of a lot of this code is Sebb;
which IMO is a pretty strong argument to have it here.

> OTOH it's a big codebase, it may make sense to make a separate
> component
> out of it.

Exactly.

> The scope is pretty math centric. So a Math TLP may be a better home
> for
> this.

Many, many things are "math-centric"; it certainly does not mean they
should belong to the same TLP.  Trying to set up an "all math" TLP is
doomed to fail like CM did (because the same little turfs will appear,
leading to a growing disparity in the development).[2]

Regards,
Gilles

[1] Or not yet, for older Java versions.
[2] This is all provable from the archives and commit log (but nobody
     will take the time to do the research...).

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
+/- 0 I'm unsure.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 21/06/2016 à 21:30, Gilles a écrit :

> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>   Standard mathematical functions (either missing from "java.lang.Math",
>   or faster or more accurate than their counterpart in the JDK) and
>   floating point utilities.

-0, I don't feel the scope is well defined enough to become a component.
I don't know the commons-math API well, but intuitively these packages
look like what I would expect to remain in the base commons-math
component after splitting the specialized components.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [VOTE] New component: Standard math functions

Posted by venkatesha m <ts...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1

    On Saturday, 2 July 2016 1:27 AM, Artem Barger <ar...@bargr.net> wrote:

 +1 [contributor]

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.

Posted by Artem Barger <ar...@bargr.net>.
+1 [contributor]

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by venkatesha m <ts...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Does this use Java 8?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
One could argue that since Java has java.util.Random, Commons Lang could
include a random package.

Gary

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
+0

The big mix of stuff here makes it feel like Commons Math Lite, so I would

Posted by Artem Barger <ar...@bargr.net>.
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:30 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
> out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.
>
> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>   Standard mathematical functions (either missing from "java.lang.Math",
>   or faster or more accurate than their counterpart in the JDK) and
>   floating point utilities.
>
> The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and packages:
>   org.apache.commons.math4.Field
>   org.apache.commons.math4.FieldElement
>   org.apache.commons.math4.RealFieldElement
>   org.apache.commons.math4.util.FastMath (and helper classes)
>   org.apache.commons.math4.util.Precision
>   org.apache.commons.math4.util.MathUtils
>   org.apache.commons.math4.util.ArithmeticUtils
>   org.apache.commons.math4.util.Combinations
>   org.apache.commons.math4.util.CombinatoricsUtils
>   org.apache.commons.math4.util.ContinuedFraction
>   org.apache.commons.math4.dfp
>   org.apache.commons.math4.special
> located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
>
> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/util;h=c54f99f943f758e43ebeb54d8771a6ef6516d283;hb=refs/heads/develop
>
> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/special;h=b8fb8b1f6e29a549d0716c866939e074525246a1;hb=refs/heads/develop

​What about o.a.c.m.fraction package? IMO it fits well into the list above.​

> Notes:
>  * This component will have no dependency.
>  * Code size: ~13000 lines of code (unit tests not included).
>    [Out of which ~6000 lines are literal numbers defined in
>    class "FastMathLiteralArrays".]
>  * API: stable.  [But some of it should probably be moved into
>    an "internal" package.]
>  * Estimated minimum Java version: 5
>
> All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
> component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user support,
> bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
>
> [ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
> [ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...

​Not sure whenever my voice can be counted here.

+1.

Best regrads,
            Artem Barger.​