Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bettual Richter <Be...@ppi.de> on 2010/05/20 10:40:18 UTC

Maxsize of Properties

Hi,

does  anyone know if there is some kind of maxsize for revision properties
?
I'd like to set long revision properties on a repository.

I'm already using the -f option with a file containing the property to be
set.

usage :

svn ps propname -F /path/propvalue.txt --revprop http://myAddr  -rHEAD

I'm not sure if this is a subversion or an apache problem. And all links
I found either didn't cover this issue or were broken.
So I hope someone here can help.

I added the message below with some kind of translation for those
unfamiliar with german ;)

svn: request failed; pre-revprop-change may be missing
svn: Unexpected returnvalue (413 Request Entity Too Large) for request
PROPPATCH for »/rep-path/!svn/bln/68989«

Orig :
svn: DAV Anfrage fehlgeschlagen; möglicherweise ist entweder die
»pre-revprop-change« Aktion gescheitert oder sie fehlt
svn: Mindestens eine Eigenschaftsänderung schlug fehl; Projektarchiv nicht
geändert
svn: Der Server hat einen unerwarteten Rückgabewert (413 Request Entity
Too Large) in Antwort auf die Anfrage PROPPATCH für
»/rep-path/!svn/bln/68989« zurückgeliefert

P.S:
The pre-revprop-change hook exists and is working

Re: Maxsize of Properties

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
Dear Bettual,

Making sure all clients can read them isn't a purpose by itself. I hope you
don't have too many files with 10MB properties, or that you have huge
amounts of memory in your clients: they are designed for small amounts of
data and may be read fully into memory for many files at the same time.

Hope that explains Hyrum's question.

Bye,

Erik.

Re: Maxsize of Properties

Posted by Bettual Richter <Be...@ppi.de>.
Von:
Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
An:
Bettual Richter <Be...@ppi.de>
Kopie:
users@subversion.apache.org
Datum:
21.05.2010 16:36

Re: Maxsize of Properties

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Maxsize of Properties

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Bettual Richter <
Bettual.Richter_extern@ppi.de> wrote:

>  Von: Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> An: Bettual Richter <
> Bettual.Richter_extern@ppi.de> Kopie: users@subversion.apache.org Datum: 20.05.2010
> 13:09 Betreff: Re: Maxsize of Properties
> ------------------------------
>

> On May 20, 2010, at 05:40, Bettual Richter wrote:
>
> > does  anyone know if there is some kind of maxsize for revision
> properties ?
>
> >>I'm not sure.
>
> > I'd like to set long revision properties on a repository.
>
> >>How large?
>
> I'm not really sure how large the properties are finally going to be
> but lets say like 10 000 000 charaters would be quite desirable.

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to use a 10MB property?  Could you
better store the data as a versioned file, rather than a versioned property?

-Hyrum

Re: Maxsize of Properties

Posted by Bettual Richter <Be...@ppi.de>.
Von: