Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Sam Tunnicliffe <sa...@beobal.com> on 2020/10/29 19:52:52 UTC

Changes to JMX metric names in 4.0 beta

In CASSANDRA-15299, native protocol V5 is being reworked to incorporate the framing format of internode messaging. This is mildly controversial given we're well into the beta now and there has been discussion[1] about this previously, so I won't rehash that here but I did want to call out another much smaller related change I think we need also to make.

CASSANDRA-15704 (4.0-alpha4) introduced new metrics to track the network traffic between clients and servers. I've had cause to touch this code in the course of 15299 and IMO there are a couple of issues with the naming of the metrics we expose here.

I'm planning to take care of this as part of 15299, but wanted to flag it on list as the existing metric names form part of the published JMX interface. I don't imagine this causing too many problems, especially as these metrics are all new in 4.0, but changing externally facing stuff at this point is not ideal.

The changes I plan to make are here: https://github.com/beobal/cassandra/commit/3cb8cf5366a71b4a00a208716d09b4c9c9bd0544
If nobody objects, I'll go ahead and include this commit when 15299 finishes review, which hopefully isn't too far off.

Thanks,
Sam

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rb50766fbd1c4b5eeeccbccd10681bf5b6d1c0e7bf7dbb43054609c34%40%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E

Re: Changes to JMX metric names in 4.0 beta

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.
Just make sure there is some good detail present in NEWS.txt on the impact
and needed changes if someone is anticipating those metrics being present.