Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/30 11:18:27 UTC

LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Hi,

last week I gave a talk about OpenOffice on the LinuxTag conference in
Berlin.

The attendance was moderate and I got the bad first slot in the morning
10:00am after the LinuxTag party on Thursday ;-) It was an interesting
interruption of my vacation.

My main goal was to express that OpenOffice was never dead and the
project have found a new home at Apache. I highlighted our achievements
and of course our release as important milestone. Presenting our nice
download numbers was also a pleasure for me ;-)

I also expressed my view that

OpenOffice.org = Apache OpenOffice
go-oo = LibreOffice

based on the facts that we own all rights on the name and the domains,
the source code. And we have reserved and migrated the whole infra
structure... And on www.go-oo.org you can see the relation to LibreOffice.

And that not the complete community have moved to LibreOffice.

But I have pointed out that it is my personal view ;-)

I also pointed out that we don't want to compete with LibreOffice (also
my personal opinion) and that our main focus and goal is to provide a
good, stable, high quality, free and intuitive office application.

A further point was that I tried to express that our users will decide
in the future which office they will prefer and that we will focus on
our users and their real demand.

Based on the discussion after my talk it is clear that many people don't
understand the split anymore and would appreciate if both projects would
work together. But that is a political question that can't be answered
easily. I think with the Apache license we provide a possible basement
but the license question is much more complicate for some people.

Juergen

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jo...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> last week I gave a talk about OpenOffice on the LinuxTag conference in
> Berlin.
>
> The attendance was moderate and I got the bad first slot in the morning
> 10:00am after the LinuxTag party on Thursday ;-) It was an interesting
> interruption of my vacation.
>
> My main goal was to express that OpenOffice was never dead and the
> project have found a new home at Apache. I highlighted our achievements
> and of course our release as important milestone. Presenting our nice
> download numbers was also a pleasure for me ;-)
>
> I also expressed my view that
>
> OpenOffice.org = Apache OpenOffice
> go-oo = LibreOffice
>
> based on the facts that we own all rights on the name and the domains,
> the source code. And we have reserved and migrated the whole infra
> structure... And on www.go-oo.org you can see the relation to LibreOffice.
>
> And that not the complete community have moved to LibreOffice.
>
> But I have pointed out that it is my personal view ;-)
>
> I also pointed out that we don't want to compete with LibreOffice (also
> my personal opinion) and that our main focus and goal is to provide a
> good, stable, high quality, free and intuitive office application.
>
> A further point was that I tried to express that our users will decide
> in the future which office they will prefer and that we will focus on
> our users and their real demand.
>
> Based on the discussion after my talk it is clear that many people don't
> understand the split anymore and would appreciate if both projects would
> work together. But that is a political question that can't be answered
> easily. I think with the Apache license we provide a possible basement
> but the license question is much more complicate for some people.
>

> Juergen

Thanks for the update...I actually visited the LinuxTag site last week, but
didn't see that you were going to present! It seems like it was a
productive and engaging moment for Apache OpenOffice.

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> As for the LO split, you could ask a dozen people "why?" and get a
> dozen different answers.  You could ask Keith Curtis "why?" and get 50
> answers ;-)  But the question and the answer is not really important.
> The only real question worth asking is "What do you want to do today?"

How about "What's LibreOffice?"

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> last week I gave a talk about OpenOffice on the LinuxTag conference in
> Berlin.

Cool.   It is a nice conference.  I presented there in 2010.

> The attendance was moderate and I got the bad first slot in the morning
> 10:00am after the LinuxTag party on Thursday ;-) It was an interesting
> interruption of my vacation.

But probably better than having the last speaking slot before the party ;-)

> My main goal was to express that OpenOffice was never dead and the
> project have found a new home at Apache. I highlighted our achievements
> and of course our release as important milestone. Presenting our nice
> download numbers was also a pleasure for me ;-)
>
> I also expressed my view that
>
> OpenOffice.org = Apache OpenOffice
> go-oo = LibreOffice
>
> based on the facts that we own all rights on the name and the domains,
> the source code. And we have reserved and migrated the whole infra
> structure... And on www.go-oo.org you can see the relation to LibreOffice.
>
> And that not the complete community have moved to LibreOffice.
>
> But I have pointed out that it is my personal view ;-)

Every tribe has their own founding myth.  I'm not sure they can be
debated rationally.   So it is good to stick to the facts.

> I also pointed out that we don't want to compete with LibreOffice (also
> my personal opinion) and that our main focus and goal is to provide a
> good, stable, high quality, free and intuitive office application.

Good.

> A further point was that I tried to express that our users will decide
> in the future which office they will prefer and that we will focus on
> our users and their real demand.
>
> Based on the discussion after my talk it is clear that many people don't
> understand the split anymore and would appreciate if both projects would
> work together. But that is a political question that can't be answered
> easily. I think with the Apache license we provide a possible basement
> but the license question is much more complicate for some people.

Asking "why" questions about complex group interactions is asking for
trouble.   Every day, when the stock market closes in New York, some
guy on TV is forced to come up with a story on why the market went up
or down or sideways.  He always has a reason: "The market closed
slightly down on fears of Greek defaults" or "The market closed
slightly up on easing fears of Greek defaults".  He never says, "It
beats me.  I have no clue what happened today.  It seems kind of
random".  He never lacks an answer for "why".   But he has no real
knowledge of "why".  It is just story telling, and it tells as much
about the story teller and his fears and concerns as it does the
market.

As for the LO split, you could ask a dozen people "why?" and get a
dozen different answers.  You could ask Keith Curtis "why?" and get 50
answers ;-)  But the question and the answer is not really important.
The only real question worth asking is "What do you want to do today?"

-Rob

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>wrote:

> > > Please don't see this as a criticism directed at you, this is simply a
> > > constructive critique of the content and suggestions for future
> > > interactions.
> > > Thanks is due for doing the presentation in any case.

> conference

> > > morning

> > > achievements

> see
> > >
> > > it.
> > >
> > > My apologies, after burbling about being precise I use a metaphorical
> > > statement.  :/
> > >
> > > The point that I tried to make (badly) is that every time we consume
> our
> > > time
> > > and energy discussing our relationship with LO we reinforce a view that
> > > we exist only as an adjunct to LO. The subtext in any such conversation
> > > is "Sorry, but............"
> > >
> > > Anyway ignore

> about /
> > >
> > > put

> > > But you were talking about it.  That's wasted energy, let's confine
> > > ourselves
> > > to speaking about AOO

> made

> the
> > >
> > > Excellent

> proof

> > > (also

> provide

> will

> > > don't

> > > would

> > > about.

> should
> > >
> > > not

> are

> is
>  Both

> project,
> > >
> > > The original project was funded by SUN, we don't have that any more.
>  The
> > > old
> > > project would never have IBM contributing.  No matter how you look at
> it,
> > > it
> > > is a different beast entirely, argument could be made, and is
> constantly,
> > > that
> > > LO is closer to the spirit of the original OOo because it retains the
> > > LGPL. The point I'm making is that even bringing up LO in any
> > > conversation is giving
> > > that argument credence.
> >
> > Yes, it's time to move forward. With over 2M downloads now, nobody in our
> > new user community cares a whit about what happened or didn't happen in
> the
> > past.
> > They want quality software that delivers value for the public good. We
> must
> > serve these users to our best ability. The past is no longer relevant
> > here....IMHO.
> >
> > Let's look forward.
>
> Yep, down our own road, nobody else's.
>
> Cheers
> GL

KG01

Indeed. In media relations and communications always keep ahead of the
story. drive the news cycle and always stay on message.

Kevin

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> > projects have corporate members.  That's all.
>
> well that is your personal opinion but not mine. For me it is clear that
> AOO = OpenOffice.org. The fact that the project moved to Apache doesn't
> change it. And we still download the product from the same website as
> before, install it in the same directory, the visible name change is
> currently a mix and we support both.
>
> If a project decides to rename it's name it is still the same project,
> isn't it?

The original project was funded by SUN, we don't have that any more.  The old
project would never have IBM contributing.  No matter how you look at it, it
is a different beast entirely, argument could be made, and is constantly, that
LO is closer to the spirit of the original OOo because it retains the LGPL.
The point I'm making is that even bringing up LO in any conversation is giving

The ownership of the original source code owned by SUN/Oracle was granted to

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Re: LinuxTag 2012 Berlin

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.