Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/03 15:52:07 UTC

[mina] Which branch to use

Hi I'm starting the development of an application from scratch using
mina as the underlying network framework.. I've seen that the current
branches are "0.7" and "trunk"..
I've also noted that there are API differences between those branches
(like ProtocolProvider that is not present in trunk).
So my question is: what branch should I took and work on? Considers
that I don't have to ship the application right now cause it's in
early stage of development.. so which branch will be used for the
"next" version of mina?

thank you
matteo

--
Matteo Merli
<ma...@gmail.com>

Re: [mina] Which branch to use

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matteo,

2005/7/3, Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>:

> Hi I'm starting the development of an application from scratch using
> mina as the underlying network framework.. I've seen that the current
> branches are "0.7" and "trunk"..
> I've also noted that there are API differences between those branches
> (like ProtocolProvider that is not present in trunk).
> So my question is: what branch should I took and work on? Considers
> that I don't have to ship the application right now cause it's in
> early stage of development.. so which branch will be used for the
> "next" version of mina?

 0.9 has better API design, but there's few documentation that describes the
changes from 0.7 stream. So you'll has to ask here until we create the
documentation.
 I suggest you to try 0.9 if the development is in a very early stage. I
believe we can ship the first 0.9 release in the near future.
 Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: [mina] Which branch to use

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
On Jul 3, 2005, at 9:52 AM, Matteo Merli wrote:

> Hi I'm starting the development of an application from scratch using
> mina as the underlying network framework.. I've seen that the current
> branches are "0.7" and "trunk"..
> I've also noted that there are API differences between those branches
> (like ProtocolProvider that is not present in trunk).

I had no idea that ProtocolProvider was removed from the trunk.
Trustin can you elaborate on this a bit.  All I know is the trunk is
the new 0.7.3 branch and the leading edge of development for MINA.
We are currently using 0.7.3.

I think Trustin intends to release 0.7.3 soon.  However I would like
more clarification on the presence of the PP interface.  This is
important to the rest of directory since our entire terminology is
based upon this concept.

> So my question is: what branch should I took and work on? Considers
> that I don't have to ship the application right now cause it's in
> early stage of development.. so which branch will be used for the
> "next" version of mina?

Until Trustin elaborates some more I think the trunk is the best
place if you're just starting out.

Good luck,
Alex