Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org> on 2005/05/26 02:15:14 UTC

installation instructions for ant under jpackage

There have been some comments on the jpackage.org mailing list to the
effect that our manual doesn't really have correct installation
instructions for that environment, although elsewhere on our site we do
link to them.

I have rewritten the install manual page to add this content, but rather
than commit it and then draw comments, I decided to post it on my own
site temporarily for comment.  If there is none, I'll just commit it.

http://www.javactivity.org/jpackage/install.html#jpackage is the main
link.  There's also an internal link a few lines above.  Otherwise, I
kept the content the same.

Re: installation instructions for ant under jpackage

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@apache.org>.
Steve Cohen wrote:

> Peter Reilly wrote:
>
>> Steve Loughran wrote:

>> I had a quick read of the section - looks good. Perhaps you could
>> mention
>>   ) that if ant has been installed by jpackage (at least the current
>> versions), the env
>>     variable ANT_HOME will be ignored,
>>   ) and that one can use the --noconfig
>>     switch to ignore the jpackage installation.
>> Peter
>>

>>> It's nice.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of adding fetch.xml to the end user distro, as it can
>>> then pick up many of the optional extra jar files (the OSS ones). It
>>> needs tweaking to autoretrieve the maven task to do the downloads,
>>> which leads to a problem: the version of that task when ant1.7 ships
>>> will be less than the latest version by the end of the lifetime of
>>> the tool. Either we do hard code a version# into a shipped property
>>> file, or we provide some way of getting the latest version (property
>>> url off the ant  site to get the list of latest JARS for that
>>> version, perhaps)

> Peter, what is fetch.xml?  Sounds interesting.

That would be Steve L's
Peter

Re: installation instructions for ant under jpackage

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Steve Cohen wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> Steve Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> what is fetch.xml?  Sounds interesting.
>>

>> I thought you knew; you updated lib/libraries.properties like you did,
>> that being the property file that drives it.
>>
> Actually, I grepped through the source for jakarta-commons and found
> libraries.properties that way.

that must be a different use of libraries.properties from ours.
Whatever, your patch made it easier to update to the new commons version

Re: installation instructions for ant under jpackage

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Steve Cohen wrote:
> what is fetch.xml?  Sounds interesting.

I thought you knew; you updated lib/libraries.properties like you did,
that being the property file that drives it.

1. get the maven dependency tasks for ant; stick them in ant home

2. set up your proxy settings in ANT_OPTS, if needed.

3. go

  ant -f fetch.xml -Ddest=system all

this will pull down the version of many things that are in
libraries.properties if they are not there.

make sure you dont have old versions on your classpath. Because we are
copying them into the dir, the old ones are not purged.

-steve

Re: installation instructions for ant under jpackage

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
Peter Reilly wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> Steve Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> There have been some comments on the jpackage.org mailing list to the
>>> effect that our manual doesn't really have correct installation
>>> instructions for that environment, although elsewhere on our site we
>>> do link to them.
>>>
>>> I have rewritten the install manual page to add this content, but
>>> rather than commit it and then draw comments, I decided to post it on
>>> my own site temporarily for comment.  If there is none, I'll just
>>> commit it.
>>

> I had a quick read of the section - looks good. Perhaps you could mention
>   ) that if ant has been installed by jpackage (at least the current
> versions), the env
>     variable ANT_HOME will be ignored,
>   ) and that one can use the --noconfig
>     switch to ignore the jpackage installation.
> Peter
>

>> It's nice.
>>
>> I'm thinking of adding fetch.xml to the end user distro, as it can
>> then pick up many of the optional extra jar files (the OSS ones). It
>> needs tweaking to autoretrieve the maven task to do the downloads,
>> which leads to a problem: the version of that task when ant1.7 ships
>> will be less than the latest version by the end of the lifetime of the
>> tool. Either we do hard code a version# into a shipped property file,
>> or we provide some way of getting the latest version (property url off
>> the ant  site to get the list of latest JARS for that version, perhaps)

Good point!  Changes made to
http://www.javactivity.org/jpackage/install.html#jpackage

As for future enhancements, we can update as they come in, I think.

Re: installation instructions for ant under jpackage

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.