Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Micael Padraig Og mac Grene <ca...@harbornet.com> on 2002/05/13 02:03:57 UTC

X11 Windows System and Tomcat

This is maybe not a pure Tomcat question, but I am running a servlet on
Tomcat which uses javax.swing, to resize jpeg images, but which does not,
of course, want to display those images.  This throws an exception, due to
a bug in the JDK 1.4.

The exception is:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11
window server using ':0,0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
	at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
	at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit><>(11GraphicsEnvironment.java:126)
	at java.awt.Toolkit#2.run(Toolket.java:712)
	at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:703)
	at javax.swing.ImageIcon.(init>(ImageIcon.java:81)
	at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(ImageIcon.java:107)

ps aux reveals: "/etc/X11/X -auth /var/lib/kdm/authfiles/A:0-0Dqymv"

Anyone know the command I need to use to solve this, if any?  I would
prefer not to use a virtual X11 system, or to build a substitute Toolkit
for the JDK.

Thanks,

Micael

Re: X11 Windows System and Tomcat

Posted by Michael Jennings <mi...@southgatesoftware.com>.
Modify the startup script for tomcat so that the java.awt.headless system
property is set
to true.

Example:

java -Djava.awt.headless=true -cp $CLASSPATH $MAINCLASS

This will tell the Java virtual machine to use a non-X11 toolkit for images
etc.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>