Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by SasakiKai <le...@icloud.com> on 2014/12/11 08:59:23 UTC

Way to check existence of topic

Hi, all.

I have a simple question.
Is there anyway to check existence of some topic from consumer? I want to implement a consumer which checks before consuming messages efficiently. Has this type of API already been implemented? Or if you have any plan, please let me know.

Thank you

Sent from my tiny hand typewriter

Re: Way to check existence of topic

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
Take a look at the entry point
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/0.8.1/core/src/main/scala/kafka/admin/TopicCommand.scala#L32
behind kafka-topics.sh --describe --topic for how to-do that now .

We are working on a new CLI and Shell for that
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1694 moving this to the server
side with wire protocol calls and client wrappers of them to-do moving
forward
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Command+Line+and+Related+Improvements

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant