Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca> on 2011/03/22 02:57:02 UTC

nightly sa-update updates are being published

We're back above the corpus thresholds for nightly sa-update updates.  Yay!

Daryl

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> On 21/03/2011 10:53 PM, John Hardin wrote:

>> >  No, it'll take a week, I think. A side-effect of only doing
>> >  net-enabled checks once a week... I think it uses the rules from the
>> >  oldest version, but I can't remember without looking.
>>
>>  I don't think so. The one that just went out was for commit 1083377 and
>>  that was a regular nightly masscheck. If the updates were only for
>
> Ooops... I was looking at 1083705 which is for trunk.
>
>>  weekly -net masschecks then how did we get two on consecutive days?
>>  (Unless somebody pushed the second...)
>
> There's an update every day, but the set-1 results only change once a week,
> so I think the rules that are published are tied to set-1.... or something
> like that.  Basically you're screwed for a week between net-checks if a bad
> rule gets out.

Well, we'll know for sure tomorrow when the update based on a commit after
I removed the PILL_PRICE rules goes out.

Dang.

   The third basic rule of firearms safety:
   Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!
  8 days until the M1911 is 100 years old - and still going strong!

Re: nightly sa-update updates are being published

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> On 21/03/2011 10:34 PM, John Hardin wrote:
>>  On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>>
>> >  We're back above the corpus thresholds for nightly sa-update updates.
>> >  Yay!
>>
>>  And the update that just went out still contains the PILL_PRICE rules...
>>
>>  Maybe tomorrow. Dang.
>
> No, it'll take a week, I think.  A side-effect of only doing net-enabled
> checks once a week... I think it uses the rules from the oldest version, but
> I can't remember without looking.

I don't think so. The one that just went out was for commit 1083377 and
that was a regular nightly masscheck. If the updates were only for weekly
-net masschecks then how did we get two on consecutive days? (Unless
somebody pushed the second...)

   If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be
   reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.
                                       -- the Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 22/03/2011 9:51 PM, Mark Martinec wrote:
> On Tuesday March 22 2011 04:29:13 Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>> OK, I've added the three (0) metas to the bottom of 72_active.cf
>> and rolled and pushed an update.
>
> Thanks!
>
> There is also an urgent need for pushing the fixed RCVD_ILLEGAL_IP
> rule in 3.2 branch to its updates - Bug 6552. Its scores are quite
> high (3.199 3.196 2.902 1.908) and cause false positives for more
> recently assigned IPv4 networks - as we read recurring complaints.
>
> The updated rule is in the 3.2 branch, backported unchanged from 3.3
> and trunk.

Hrm.  Let me see what I can do.  I'll have to refresh my memory on what
state 3.2 is at.  There were some big changes to how everything worked,
but I can't remember when.

At worst, I'll build rules from 3.2 branch and publish them.  I'd like
to test it against each version automatically... I guess I could do it
manually if I have to.

It'll probably be at least the weekend before I could look at it.  I
want to look at re-enabling 3.3 updates first (which probably won't be
until the weekend either).

Daryl

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.

Posted by "Warren Togami Jr." <wt...@gmail.com>.
On 3/23/2011 6:51 PM, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> On 23/03/2011 7:21 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
>> I am afraid we already need another emergency rule update for 3.3.
>>
>> Please take a look at Bug #6220 and #6560. In the short-term we need to
>> push another emergency rule update to disable all six of those network
>> rules. Then we need to figure out how it managed to ignore the
>> "#testrules" mark within the sandbox file.
>
> We've rolled back to the less problematic update that was live until
> last week. Update 1052462 has been released as update 1083704. It will
> be live in DNS in 7 minutes.
>
> Daryl

This means FS_RU_URL is back, but this is prior to the introduction of
Bug 6558 right?

Warren

Re: nightly sa-update updates are being published

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by "Warren Togami Jr." <wt...@gmail.com>.
On 3/21/2011 5:29 PM, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> On 21/03/2011 11:08 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

>>> Here's what I did:
>> [...]
>>> If I did that wrong I'll be happy to say "d'oh!".
>>
>> Nope, already confirmed myself.
>>
>> The __PILL_PRICE_x rules are still there, with the tflags multiple.
>
> OK, I've added the three (0) metas to the bottom of 72_active.cf and
> rolled and pushed an update. I didn't test it, because, well, I'm going
> to bed. Hopefully I didn't screw it up.
>
> I've disabled stable branch updates for now. If they are re-enabled
> there's a chance that the fix will be clobbered and the bad version will
> be published again. I'll confirm things are OK later in the week before
> re-enabling.
>
> I think my first step to resolving this "fix a broken update" issue is
> to write a script to just roll-back to a given (manually chosen) update
> revision number, by having it copied and published as a new (higher)
> revision number. It doesn't fix things like the Y2K10 issue we had, but
> it would resolve issues like we just had now.
>
> Daryl

Hi Daryl,

I am afraid we already need another emergency rule update for 3.3.

Please take a look at Bug #6220 and #6560.  In the short-term we need to
push another emergency rule update to disable all six of those network
rules.  Then we need to figure out how it managed to ignore the
"#testrules" mark within the sandbox file.

Warren Togami
warren@togami.com

Re: nightly sa-update updates are being published

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 20:01 -0700, John Hardin wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> > Actually... I can't find any sign of PILL_PRICE in the latest update. Are you
> > sure there's still an issue with it?
>
> Here's what I did:
[...]

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> On 21/03/2011 10:39 PM, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

>> >  And the update that just went out still contains the PILL_PRICE rules...
>> >
>> >  Maybe tomorrow. Dang.
>>
>>  No, it'll take a week, I think. A side-effect of only doing net-enabled
>>  checks once a week... I think it uses the rules from the oldest version,
>>  but I can't remember without looking.
>
> Actually... I can't find any sign of PILL_PRICE in the latest update. Are you
> sure there's still an issue with it?

Here's what I did:
jhardin@dendarii ~/develop/spamassassin/sa-updates $ dig +short TXT 2.3.3.updates.spamassassin.org
"1083377"
jhardin@dendarii ~/develop/spamassassin/sa-updates $ wget http://buildbot.spamassassin.org.nyud.net:8090/updatestage/1083377.tar.gz
jhardin@dendarii ~/develop/spamassassin/sa-updates $ tar zxvf 1083377.tar.gz 72_active.cf
72_active.cf
jhardin@dendarii ~/develop/spamassassin/sa-updates $ grep PILL 72_active.cf
##{ MANY_PILL_PRICE
meta        MANY_PILL_PRICE        (__PILL_PRICE_1 + __PILL_PRICE_2 +
__PILL_PRICE_3) > 2
describe    MANY_PILL_PRICE        Prices for pills
##} MANY_PILL_PRICE
body        __PILL_PRICE_1
m;\$?[\d\s.]{3,8}(?:/|per|each)\s?(?:pill|tablet|cap(?:sule|let));i
tflags      __PILL_PRICE_1         multiple
body        __PILL_PRICE_2
/(?:pill|tablet|cap(?:sule|let))s\s\$?[\d\s.]{3,8}/i
tflags      __PILL_PRICE_2         multiple
body        __PILL_PRICE_3
/free\s(?:pill|tablet|cap(?:sule|let))s/i
tflags      __PILL_PRICE_3         multiple

                                       -- the Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

                                       -- the Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001
  8 days until the M1911 is 100 years old - and still going strong!