Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Per Weisteen <pe...@hydro.com> on 2005/11/21 10:57:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Problems with installing a precompiled tarball to separate directories

Hi

I need to be able to install Apache 1.3.34 to different directories on
different servers (same OS and HW though) without having to build a
separate version using different --PREFIX each time. I have tried to
build with --PREFIX="" , then creating a tarball that is moved over to
the target server and finally running make install -root=<target
directory>. This mechanism is documented in the INSTALL file for 1.3.34
but still doesn't seem to work. All files are copied to correct <target
directory> but apachectl and httpd.conf doesn't contain correct paths.
Any info would be most welcome.
Per Weisteen

Hydro IS Partner <http://www.hydroispartner.com/>

	IS/IT Architect

Norsk Hydro ASA <http://www.hydro.com/>

	Email: per.weisteen@hydro.com <ma...@hydro.com>
	Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=67>
NO-0240 Oslo, Norway

	Phone:(+47) 2253 8227/Mobile:(+47) 9344 5312

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with installing a precompiled tarball to separate directories

Posted by Tony Di Croce <di...@gmail.com>.
Consider chrooting it.

Then, you can put it wherever you want, on as many servers as you want.

here is an article:
http://www.linuxtecharticles.com/chrootingapache.html

td

On 11/21/05, Per Weisteen <pe...@hydro.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to be able to install Apache 1.3.34 to different directories on
> different servers (same OS and HW though) without having to build a
> separate version using different --PREFIX each time. I have tried to
> build with --PREFIX="" , then creating a tarball that is moved over to
> the target server and finally running make install -root=<target
> directory>. This mechanism is documented in the INSTALL file for 1.3.34
> but still doesn't seem to work. All files are copied to correct <target
> directory> but apachectl and httpd.conf doesn't contain correct paths.
> Any info would be most welcome.
> Per Weisteen
>

> Hydro IS Partner <http://www.hydroispartner.com/>
>
> IS/IT Architect
>
> Norsk Hydro ASA <http://www.hydro.com/>
>
> Email: per.weisteen@hydro.com <ma...@hydro.com>
> Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=67>
> NO-0240 Oslo, Norway
>
> Phone:(+47) 2253 8227/Mobile:(+47) 9344 5312

> NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous
> e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential or privileged
> information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
> responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
> any of the information contained in or attached to this message is
> STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error,
> please immediately notify the sender and delete the e-mail and attached
> documents. Thank you.

Free Linux Technical Articles

Posted by Per Weisteen <pe...@hydro.com>.
per.weisteen@hydro.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to be able to install Apache 1.3.34 to different directories on
> different servers (same OS and HW though) without having to build a
> separate version using different --PREFIX each time. I have tried to
> build with --PREFIX="" , then creating a tarball that is moved over to
> the target server and finally running make install -root=<target
> directory>. This mechanism is documented in the INSTALL file for
> 1.3.34 but still doesn't seem to work. All files are copied to correct
> <target directory> but apachectl and httpd.conf doesn't contain
> correct paths. Any info would be most welcome.

Hi everyone

I've received several suggestions to how one could do Apache
installations to different directories but no explanation to why the
method as described in the INSTALL file doesn't work. Any new takers out
there ?