Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Aidan Diffey <ai...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/05 12:14:35 UTC

Embedded FTP server binding port - General question

Hello all.

A question about the port binding of the Apache FTP server. (On a Windows XP
operating system)

It would appear that I can set the FTP server to bind to a port that is
already in use, and it will bind to it correctly and operate an FTP
service.  Is this the correct behavior when attempting to bind to a port
that is already in use?

Further information (An example)

Performing a netstat -a with no FTP server running gives:
*TCP    **<MACHINE_NAME>**:http         <MACHINE_NAME>:0  LISTENING*

If I then start and FTP server on port 80, and run netstat -a again, I get:

*TCP    **<MACHINE_NAME>**:http         <MACHINE_NAME>:0  LISTENING*
*TCP    **<MACHINE_NAME>**:http         **<MACHINE_NAME>:0  LISTENING*

This indicates to me that there are now two items listening on port 80
(Default IIS and also Apache FTP server)

Kind Regards

Re: Embedded FTP server binding port - General question

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Aidan Diffey <ai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would appear that I can set the FTP server to bind to a port that is
> already in use, and it will bind to it correctly and operate an FTP
> service.  Is this the correct behavior when attempting to bind to a port
> that is already in use?

We set SO_REUSEADDR on starting FtpServer which causes this (we're
planning to make this configurable). You can read more about how this
works on Windows here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740621(VS.85).aspx

/niklas