Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Andrew Shirley <ak...@decisionsoft.com> on 2006/04/05 11:16:35 UTC

Re: [cli] Commons CLI version 2.0?

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 02:29:25PM +0100, Tim Troup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am starting a new project and wish to use Commons CLI to handle
> command line processing.
>
> What version is recommended for use?

I don't know what to recommend but I found version 2 a lot easier to
use. However as it hasn't been released yet it might not be as stable
etc.

> The Commons CLI home page (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli/
> index.html) lists details for version 1.0. However, based on what I
> have read in the ebook "Jakarta Commons Online Bookshelf" (http://
> www.manning.com/books/goyal12) I believe version 2.0 is available.
>
> After some digging around the apache site I managed to find a CLI2
> site (http://people.apache.org/~roxspring/cli/docs/), however the
> distribution directory was empty.
>
> Is this project still alive?
>
> If so where can I download the source/binaries for version 2.0?

you can get it from svn here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/trunk

but they havn't released it yet hence there are no packaged versions.

Andrew Shirley

Re: [cli] Commons CLI version 2.0?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/04/06, Andrew Shirley <ak...@decisionsoft.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 02:29:25PM +0100, Tim Troup wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am starting a new project and wish to use Commons CLI to handle
> > command line processing.
> >
> > What version is recommended for use?
>
> I don't know what to recommend but I found version 2 a lot easier to
> use. However as it hasn't been released yet it might not be as stable
> etc.

We use the old Excalibur/Avalon CLI in JMeter. There were some minor bugs.
As the original project seemed to be dormant, we incorporated the
source into JMeter
and fixed the bugs. The full package was then made available to CLI.

Unfortunately, there is still no release, but if you want to use it,
the code is at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/cli/avalon/

Test cases are at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/trunk/src/test/org/apache/commons/cli/avalon/

This has been in use in JMeter for some while now, and no further bugs
have been reported.