Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2003/11/07 23:43:44 UTC

Changes in PostScript support

Finally, I managed to scratch together some time and resync my local
codebase again. I failed to upload my PS refactoring I did in August and
then a lot of little changes happened. Took me quite a long time to get
that sorted out. Teaches me for next time. :-) Anyway, I hope I have
correctly preserved all the changes that were done since August.

Here's what I did:
- Improved PSTextPainter to allow for less painting by the
  StrokingTextPainter. This improves speed and decreases the size of the
  generated files.
- Improved font handling and text painting in PSGraphics2D. This was
  needed to support the changes in the TextPainter.
- Hidden in the code is a little change that allows me to generate more
  than one page with a PSDocumentGraphics2D. I've done an experiment
  with JPS (Java Printing System) to use PSDocumentGraphics2D as base
  for an alternative PS backend to JPS (that code is not committed). I
  hope nobody minds if I leave that multipage code in there. It
  shouldn't hurt.
- I've added an EPS transcoder. That was simply a matter of creating
  abstract base classes so I could manage the little differences between
  normal PostScript files and EPS files. It could be that there are some
  illegal (WRT EPS) statements left generated by PSGraphics2Dm but I
  don't think so. This is simply to say that the code is brand new and
  to be considered alpha-quality.

A big todo that is left open in PSGraphics2D ATM is proper bitmap
support.

Besides that I'm itching to refactor the Transcoder instantiation in
Batik so that additional transcoders can be added just like we add FOP
extensions. Right now, support for the PDF transcoder is hardcoded in
Batik. But I still need to find time to do that.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Changes in PostScript support

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Wow, all this work--great to have you back coding
again!

Glen

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree