Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by "Leschke, Scott" <SL...@medline.com> on 2016/05/13 15:51:19 UTC

Can't resolve org.osgi.service.component 1.2 ?

Hi all,

I've been messing around with OSGi and Karaf for a bit over 2 years now. Technically I'm no longer a developer, although if you want to get stuff done, sometimes you just have to do it yourself. I've built a BAM (Business Activity Monitoring) platform using OSGi (I wasn't aware of Decanter when I originally did this but it sounds very similar in many ways. Looking more closely at that is a future).

To date, I've done everything using Blueprint which has worked quite well but I thought it might be time to take a look at DS to see where that might fit in. To get a feel, I had BndTools create a component bundle and tweaked things a bit so that it should run in Karaf 4.0.5 as BndTools appears to be anticipating OSGi R6 support. I changed the build to reference osgi.cmpn; version=5.0 for example.

When I deploy the bundle, the resolver complains about not being able to satisfy the package requirement: org.osgi.service.component - version [1.2-2.0). I've looked at the manifest and verified that the package is actually imported so I'm at a loss.  The component code and actual bundle manifest are shown below, for completeness.  Any thoughts on what might be going on would be appreciated.

Regards, Scott

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bnd-LastModified: 1463152495066
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: zCompTest
Bundle-SymbolicName: zCompTest
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.201605131514
Created-By: 1.8.0_71 (Oracle Corporation)
Export-Package: com.medline.zcomptest;version="1.0.0";uses:="org.osgi.
service.component"
Import-Package: org.osgi.service.component;version="[1.2,2)"
Require-Capability: osgi.ee;filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.8))"
Service-Component: OSGI-INF/com.medline.zcomptest.Example.xml
Tool: Bnd-3.2.0.201605070046-SNAPSHOT

import org.osgi.service.component.ComponentContext;
import org.osgi.service.component.annotations.Activate;
import org.osgi.service.component.annotations.Component;
import org.osgi.service.component.annotations.Deactivate;

@Component(
immediate = true
)
public class Example {

       @Activate
       protected void activate(ComponentContext c)
       {
              System.out.println("++ ACTIVATE");
       }

       @Deactivate
       protected void deactivate(ComponentContext c)
       {
              System.out.println("-- DEACTIVATE");
       }
}

Re: Can't resolve org.osgi.service.component 1.2 ?

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
On 13.05.2016 17:51, Leschke, Scott wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ive been messing around with OSGi and Karaf for a bit over 2 years
> now. Technically Im no longer a developer, although if you want to
> get stuff done, sometimes you just have to do it yourself. Ive built
> a BAM (Business Activity Monitoring) platform using OSGi (I wasnt
> aware of Decanter when I originally did this but it sounds very
> similar in many ways. Looking more closely at that is a future).
>
> To date, Ive done everything using Blueprint which has worked quite
> well but I thought it might be time to take a look at DS to see where
> that might fit in. To get a feel, I had BndTools create a component
> bundle and tweaked things a bit so that it should run in Karaf 4.0.5
> as BndTools appears to be anticipating OSGi R6 support. I changed the
> build to reference osgi.cmpn; version=5.0 for example.

That should be no issue. Karaf includes scr 2 which supports the newest
DS spec.

> When I deploy the bundle, the resolver complains about not being able
> to satisfy the package requirement: org.osgi.service.component -
> version [1.2-2.0). Ive looked at the manifest and verified that the
> package is actually imported so Im at a loss.  The component code and
> actual bundle manifest are shown below, for completeness.  Any
> thoughts on what might be going on would be appreciated.

I guess you simply forgot to install the scr feature.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Can't resolve org.osgi.service.component 1.2 ?

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
This also happened to me a lot.

If you use the current 6.0.0 OSGi specs and the maven-bundle-plugin 3.0.0
it will automatically create a Requirement for the DS extender.
If you then install your application using a feature then karaf will
complain if the DS extender is missing.

This does not work though if you install individual bundles.

For a complete example see:
https://github.com/cschneider/Karaf-Tutorial/tree/master/tasklist-ds

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com
<https://owa.talend.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=3aa4083e0c744ae1ba52bd062c5a7e46&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.talend.com>

Re: Can't resolve org.osgi.service.component 1.2 ?

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
No reason to call yourself an idiot it's a common thing to forget about the
obvious ;)
aka "can't see the wood for the trees"

enjoy your weekend and best regards, Achim

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I think it won't be so easy ;)

If the user deploys using a feature, then, we can check the requirements
and the feature resolver can raise a warning.
However, if the user deploys a bundle, we would need to add a
BundleListener to check the "non resolved" reqs.

Let me think about it a bit.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Can't resolve org.osgi.service.component 1.2 ?

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Can't resolve org.osgi.service.component 1.2 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Can't resolve org.osgi.service.component 1.2 ?

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Leschke, Scott" <SL...@medline.com>.

OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/> Committer & Project Lead